free website stats program Why can't I turn the mount the other way??!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Why can't I turn the mount the other way??!!

vegas

Helllo all.
I just bought a set of highway peg mounts....nice set...
HD part number is: 50957-02B
Link is: [URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/postid336642"]Billet Engine Guard Footpeg Mounting Kit - Chrome | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA
[/URL]

It says in the instructions that the mount has to be installed so that the footpeg points towards the bike when it is open. That means that the peg is between the engine guard and the bike!

Is it just me or is that the most uncomforatble way to mount the pegs??!!
Why can't I mount them pointing out when they are extended?

Does anybody know?
It's not a mechanical thing...the mounts will spin around either way...

Thanks.

Most people run them out, Harley say's mount them in because, mounted outwards it makes the bike wider and if you clip somethjing with them you might sue them. lol They work both ways.

The picture even shows them mounted pointing in!

I'm sure there are a few riders who like them this way but the vast majority I see or know all have them mounted pointing outside the engine guard. I've gotten to where I leave mine extended almost all the time - just have to remember that extra width if maneuvering in tight quarters.

Thanks guys...
I figured it was something like that...

I been riding for about 6 months and didn't want to make a rookie mistake..

I thought it might a big nono in case you ever lay your bike down. Like the pegs would get caught and flip your bike and kill you if you mounted them the wrong way or something like that...

On my baggers I always mounted the pegs to the inside it felt more natural

It really comes down to how long your legs are or how far you want to spread them. They have to adjusted to you and every one finds comfort in there own way.

I mounted mine outwards because inwards would be unreachable with my knees hitting the air cleaner on the right side. I do have engine guards with integral rubber footrests, but then I have to sit on the bike like a LaZy Boy, leg draped over the air cleaner and on the footrest...:D

SaddleView.jpg

Thanks guys...
I figured it was something like that...

I been riding for about 6 months and didn't want to make a rookie mistake..

I thought it might a big nono in case you ever lay your bike down. Like the pegs would get caught and flip your bike and kill you if you mounted them the wrong way or something like that...

If you lay it down and your feet are on the highway pegs at the time and they are mounted pointing out; you will have a bad day... if they are mounted in and you did the same thing I think you would have just as bad of a day. From some of the wrecks I've seen you dont want your feet on the highway pegs when you go down. I've also heard some "things to do when you are in a wreck" and I have to say that they are just something to talk about. During the wreck will be the MOST stressful time of your day, and beleiving that you will be able to do anything that you haven't practiced A LOT is kind of wishful thinking. In short - mount them the way you want and just don't wreck.:s

Back