free website stats program Why Blame The Dealers | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Blame The Dealers

Where did that come from, Smitty is 100 on this H D like everyone else cannot manufacture all the parts it needs so they out source things like spark plugs made by champion to H D specs and oil filters made by hastings to H D specs

Well, here is my .02 cents, If you are going to own a Harley, you have no business complaining about the cost of ownership. They are expensive and we all know it, I believe that a fair discount is appreciated by everyone, but the dealers do need to make money. And, not to be rude, if you are complaining about the cost of ownership of a HD and what the dealer charges, think about what he has to pay just to have the dealership and keep his doors open. This is an expensive hobby and that is the bottom line. Also think about this, you have 1 or 2 bikes to deal with, think of all the problems has with their bikes that come back to the dealer, you wouldn't be going crazy dealing with the public. My dealer treats me great, got a Xmas gift from them and all. We all seem to forget about what they pay out, I.E.- Insurance, taxes, wages, mortgages on building, inventory, none of that is free, so I treat my dealer with respect and do not talk down about them. We also get what we pay for, I don't trust my bike with anyone but a certified and HD trained mechanic.

Brand loyality isn't what it once was. As long as a dealer has more than enough business to treat customers "poorly" than, I guess they can continue to do so.

Now saying this. There is a lot more to running a dealership now than years gone by. It's not just paying rent and heat anymore. They pay Harley Corp some heavy duty franchise fees for the operation and there are other costs involved. (typcially a franchise fee along with a percentage of revenue) Also, all that nice machinery in the show room is costing them $$$ every month through commercial financing.

I have seen some improvement from motorcycle dealers (not just Harley) in general over the years but, some habits are hard to kick.

There are always gonna be 3 sides to every story.

I only use the dealer to meet friends and compare prices to see how much I can save by going elsewhere,however,there are some items I want that are exclusive to dealers,so I just bite the bullet and remember how much everything COULD have cost me,gives me a kinda warm glo.

Look at how many post we see that start out blameing HD when we get to what really happened the owner taking short cuts is the one that trashed the bike.

I have to laugh at these threads...guess people just don't get the fact that dealers are in business to make money off of us...such a cruel thing LOL.

I will agree about the fact that HD get most of there items from outside vendors, built to their specs, but the bottom line comes into play and whomever gives them the lowest price gets the contract. Citgo and the oil deal is a perfect example.That being said I doubt seriously if they re-tool the production line just to make stuff for HD. The box and label on it may change, but the product?
Add a set of V&H or Bub pipes, void your warrenty, SE installed by the dealer, oh that's just fine.
How many threads do you see here regarding some guy the dealer is trying to give the run around on warrenty issues?
I have a 2009 RG, have yet to hear anything from MOCO about the tire and fuel tank service bulletens form MOCO or the dealer. I have a 2009 Chevy truck which GM sends me a letter about issues. Anyone ever get a letter from MOCO? I am just asking, never heard of that occuring.
When I called the local dealer, "we haven't heard anything about it". Were it not for this site how would I know? A dealer located about 100 miles out knew about it and told me to bring my bike there and they would gladly check it out, so why can't the dealer 15 miles away do the same?

Actually when I ready to make a mod with a costly item I hope that My local dealer doesn't have it in stock. They have an in stock guarantee; if they don't have it in stock you get a 20% discount. If they have to order it, it generally takes less than a week to come in.

My dealer charges 10% over MSRP on most parts (engine, trans, non chrome). I had no idea until I started to compare against MSRP web prices. When I asked him about it they said "I don't know what your talking about. That's what HD says to charge"..... Ya right.

I would check that 20% discount against web MSRP. In my case I would only be saving 10%. It's not the 10% or the discount. It's the lying and shell games they play that gets me.

The dealers will notify u if there is a DOT recall, however a good dealer may call u to follow up on your bike , mine does

As long as humans are involved, errors can happen on both sides. The key here is to work together for a positive outcome, and accept responsiblilty if problems crop up or are aggravated by either side. No one wins if either party is unhappy. Customer satisfaction means negotiation on both sides...when each meets the other's "expectations" this is a win-win situation. For best results, be very clear as to the circumstances and symptoms for repair, and make sure the work order reflects each line item. The dealer is responsible to provide professional servicing and troubleshooting techniques to diagnose and repair the problem, verify and list results and confirm safety and functional test ride with multi-point checklist performed. The bike should not leave without completing this important safety check, and be street worthy "legal", with return of old parts replaced as required by local laws. Prompt payment and honored guarantee are the bottom line completing the transaction. If all the responsible parties bear their respective repair order (contract) there should never be an argument as to the results...as ultimately, it is a bond between two "voluntarily" linked parties.

Last edited:
I have to laugh at these threads...guess people just don't get the fact that dealers are in business to make money off of us...such a cruel thing LOL.

I don't blame anybody for wanting to make money, that's what business is all about. But....Smart business people want returns costumers that continue to buy their products. I, for one, do not mind paying for something I want, I just don't want to be ripped off or treated like the village idiot.

Back