free website stats program Who's changed handlebars? | Harley Davidson Forums

Who's changed handlebars?

tunes

Looking for opinions on new bars that will give me a little more pull back? I'm looking at the Klockwerks Ergo back but concerned the will raise me up and block the fairing mirrors? The say I can use the stock cables on a streetglide.

Just put a set of Heritage bars (56623-99) on my 05 RKC. Made a world of difference.
Couple of inches more pullback and a little taller and no cable or wire changes. Best part....under $80.00 (chrome)

Interesting thread this, I'm looking at changing bars also on my '07 FLHRC and thought about the Heritage bars but was told that new cables were a must so ruled out that option.

Then I was pointed towards the Reduced Reach Road King Handlebars P/No. 56152-04 for '02 and later Road Kings however, the catalogue says that these also require the use of additional Clutch Cables, Throttle / Idle Cables, Brake Lines and Switch Wire Extensions. Has anyone had any experience of these?

Very unscientific but in my time on this and a couple other forums, it seems like lots of Road King owners swap to Heritage bars (I thought I read somewhere that this is what police bikes come with as standard) and many Street Glide and Electra Glide owners swap to Wild One Chubby bars (I think it's the 575 model.)

I put the Wild One Chubby's 575 on my Ultra and love them. I changed the clutch cable to a 4 inch over stock and kept it in the same position as stock. You can use stock clutch cable and just reroute it outside of the fairing. All other wires and brake lines will work just fine. Your hands will be in the way of the fairing mounted mirrors. Some have added handlebar mirrors so they could have both sets adjusted differently to help with the blind spot. Installing the Chubby's was a little work putting the wires inside the bars but very rewarding. It is one of the best upgrades I have done.

I also put on a set of heritage bars on my 05 RG, perfect fit ,up and back a couple of inches, and the cables fit, just went with a shorter stem mirro. My shoulders and lower back feel great,and i usally put 300 to 400 miles a day on the week ends,,ride safe!!

I'm told the reduced reach touring bars will work with no cable changes. You can just re-route the clutch cable. Still inside the fairing but just routed differently. This is the route I want to take.

Anyone know how difficult it is to get the bars off on an ultra? I know the fairing outer must come off, but how much disassembly once inside there to get to the clamps?

Thanks!

I'm told the reduced reach touring bars will work with no cable changes. You can just re-route the clutch cable. Still inside the fairing but just routed differently. This is the route I want to take.

Anyone know how difficult it is to get the bars off on an ultra? I know the fairing outer must come off, but how much disassembly once inside there to get to the clamps?

Thanks!

I would definitely get a service manual if you don't already have one and are thinking about doing this project on your own.

I would definitely get a service manual if you don't already have one and are thinking about doing this project on your own.

I have the service manual, just was wanting a comment or two from those who have done it as to whether it is really long and complicated once you get inside the fairing or straight forward. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, do most of my own service, but this is my first harley and my first bike with a fairing like this.

When I changed mine I had the inner fairing off being painted. When I got it all together and sat on it to smile and feel of it, the bars rolled forward. I had forgotten to torque the bar clamp. I was able to remove the four mounting bolts and raise the inner fairing to tighten the bolts on the clamp. It was tight but I believe they can be changed without removing the inner fairing. The outer fairing can easily be removed and put back on.

Back