free website stats program who sets up fly and rides | Harley Davidson Forums

who sets up fly and rides

AZDave

There are about 5 of us that would like to fly from AZ to TN and ride the tail of the dragon and the area for a 4 day weekend in 2010. Who sets up trips like that? Has anyone used a company to take care of everything?

There are about 5 of us that would like to fly from AZ to TN and ride the tail of the dragon and the area for a 4 day weekend in 2010. Who sets up trips like that? Has anyone used a company to take care of everything?

I would suggest that you call the Harley Davidson dealer in Pigeon Forge TN and see if they can shed some light on the subject. That dealer is pretty close to where all of this Puff :laughthe Magic Dragon stuff is.:)

Cool Springs HD in Franklin, just south of Nashville are great folks to deal with. Check their web page. A few miles from the Tail, but a nice ride over the moutains to get there.
Airline connections may be a bit less grief getting to Nashville.

First of all, it depends on what city you want to fly into. You'll probably have the most choices and best prices flying into a larger city like Atlanta or Charlotte.

Then I'd do some web research and find a HD dealer in that city that rents bikes and start negotiating a package deal including rides to and from the airport. You have the advantage of having 5 people involved so there is some serious money changing hands here - should be incentive for a dealer anyway.

When you decide on a time to do this, be sure to post something in the Southeast Road Trips section or even shoot me a PM. Plenty of riders in this area might be willing to join you if you'll have us!

Thanks Doc and I will let you know when we set it up. Can you tell me weather wise a good time to come?

Thanks Doc and I will let you know when we set it up. Can you tell me weather wise a good time to come?

Temps are nice in the spring but it has a tendency to be wet quite often. Summer is hot (not a dry heat like yours!) with frequent afternoon thunderstorms. Fall is pretty close to ideal, temperature and precip wise. One thing to keep in mind about your Dragon visit - it tends to get very crowded on weekends when the weather's nice and usually has more of a law enforcement presence then, too. If your schedule dictates that you must ride it on a weekend, try to do it as early in the day as possible.

Overall, I'd say late April, May, early June, September, or October. Don't forget - too late in October and you'll start sharing the roads with all the leaf watchers!

I rented a bike in San Diego for a 4 day trip. Like a previous post, the Hog Fly and Ride deal is a bit cheaper for HOG members but you have to book in advance and it is not very flexible to move at the last minute.

If your travel is not definite and could change or you are looking to ensure you will hit good weather, it may be worth trying to simply rent yourself through local dealers. Due to flexibility issues, I chose to book myself through a dealer. I saved more money on the flight by getting a great deal from the airline then I could have ever saved on booking through the fly and ride program vs. renting myself.

There are several webpages on the "Tail of the Dragon" and they describe the traffic, scenery, hazards etc, depending on the time of day and time of year you intend to ride it. I am sure it will be a great trip! Good luck.
Just be prepared for some sport bikes to pass you at a high rate of speed. During the week and not during "rush hour" if you want to soak it up....
You will definitely sharpen your foot pegs/floor boards....

Do a net search for Eaglerider. They do a lot of tours in USA and other countries too. They might have a fly and ride that would fit your needs. :)

Back