free website stats program Who owns the oldest harley davidson | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who owns the oldest harley davidson

I know, I know, it's a toy...But it is a real honest to goodness Harley-Davidson motorcycle. And when I get her refurbished I'll ride off into the sunset in a cloud of smoke:D

It's a 52 Hummer, not the oldest but still pretty cool. Just wait til I find that 80 inch flathead...

Ishmael

Well, my ignorance is showing. I have a photo on disk, on a camera card and stored on HDT as an attachment, but for the life of me I can't attach it to this post. If you'd care to see it go to classics and look under the heading "Another Harley" by Ishmael. Enjoy.

1988 FLTC that I bought new. That is 23 years on the same bike and the engine has never been out of the frame. Should qualify for some thing.

I know, I know, it's a toy...But it is a real honest to goodness Harley-Davidson motorcycle. And when I get her refurbished I'll ride off into the sunset in a cloud of smoke:D

It's a 52 Hummer, not the oldest but still pretty cool. Just wait til I find that 80 inch flathead...

Ishmael

Well, my ignorance is showing. I have a photo on disk, on a camera card and stored on HDT as an attachment, but for the life of me I can't attach it to this post. If you'd care to see it go to classics and look under the heading "Another Harley" by Ishmael. Enjoy.

I have a good friend in Minnesota who collects bikes 45 now including a 30,s vld

You can park next to me 77 XL Sportster. I've Heard tha AMF stuff forever water on a ducks back.

Funny you should put it like that!! "Park next to you" My XL is high compression and about 9 years ago I shattered my right heel. Haven't been able to start it by myself ever since. I am too stuborn to put electric start on it, don't want to ruin the look, and no way I am gonna put in compression releases, cause that's what an old person would do, and get rid of it, well those are fight'n words pilgrim......I bought that bike when I was 17, none of my friends had a harley until well into their twenties. So, when a friend feels like goin for a ride, and it happens every now and again, if they can start the XLCH, I let em ride the ultra, and off we go. I've been workin hard to get the strength back, but it has been a painfully slow process. Stress the painful part. :small3d026:

Funny you should put it like that!! "Park next to you" My XL is high compression and about 9 years ago I shattered my right heel. Haven't been able to start it by myself ever since. I am too stuborn to put electric start on it, don't want to ruin the look, and no way I am gonna put in compression releases, cause that's what an old person would do, and get rid of it, well those are fight'n words pilgrim......I bought that bike when I was 17, none of my friends had a harley until well into their twenties. So, when a friend feels like goin for a ride, and it happens every now and again, if they can start the XLCH, I let em ride the ultra, and off we go. I've been workin hard to get the strength back, but it has been a painfully slow process. Stress the painful part. :small3d026:
I've never kick started any Harley so I'm clueless, but I've saw some older guys stand on the right side and kick with their left leg. Would that make it easier on you? Not saying you are old, but some of them were, and maybe that might give more kick power. I dunno.

The problem is that it is such high compression. I can stand on that pedal and it goes nowhere. You really have to come down on it with everything you've got, and I don't have the coordination to do that with my left foot. I have been working on getting the strength back in the right leg, and it is going well. For a long time it was something that I ignored because no matter what I do, I still will be limited and there are many things I can't do such as waterski, snowski, run etc. and that was really hard to accept as i was 27 when the accident happend. But if any DR. tells me that I cannot kick start my bike, then it is time for a new DR. I might as well just give up. H/D's are the one thing I have always enjoyed whether riding, working on or looking at, and that will never change. Thanks for the input though guys!!

So, after all the talk of having trouble starting the beast, and that it is 40 degrees in Green Bay today. I took the battery and a few sockets over to the storage unit. Put the battery in, kicked it over a few times, then noticed I had gas dripping out of the exhaust. Turned off petcock, and kicked it through a few times, slowly with the throttle pegged open. Gas stopped dripping, few more kicks, turn the ignition on, and pop, it back fires. Crack the throttle 2x's for acc. pumper to give it a squirt, pull the enrichener and kick it again, and shes a runnin. Ran for a good 30+ seconds, died out, realized i didn't turn the gas back on. Turn the gas back on, four more kicks, shes runnin again.
Needless to say, I guess all the effort into getting my leg back into shape paid off. I am limping like heck now, but am still smiling. The only downside is that after riding it for twenty minutes it wouldn't idle right, and since I was close to the storage unit i just brought it back. It was pouring gas out of the air cleaner now, not the pipes. The bike had been sitting for 16 or so years and I had a guy go through the carb cause this was happening. But I just figured heck with it and ordered a super E, and a new petcock cause that was leaking a little too. All the work I put into it in the past 2 years, I'm calling out the stops and just finishing the job right. I put new gears in the trans, new clutch plates and basket, tires, breaks, coil, pistons, valves, oil tank, everything but the gas cap is new on the thing. Hopefully the carb gets here soon, that thing was intense. Talk about acceleration, and I wasn't even getting on it, it is still a new motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the way I used to kick start my old XLCH when I ”was” young. All my weight on the left foot made it much easier.
WAP.gif

Also we had Sportster knee, when the kicker gives and it free falls OUCH:p

1970 XLCH with a 1957 k model low end with 1000cc ironhead jugs this is actually my first harley that i just traded a kawasaki drag bike straight up for a few days ago, it has electric start but im trying to find a kick start shaft to put back into the motor, it currently needs front brake pads and possibly a voltage regulater, im assuming the guy never polarized it so i might not need a vr im hoping.

Got a 47 knuckle head to work on, a present from my son.
Don't know if I'll ever have the time as I want to ride as
much as I can while I can.

Back