free website stats program Who carries Extra gas container on their ride. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who carries Extra gas container on their ride.

Some days I just get up and go, don't care where ! That's what gets me in trouble, because I'm now in unfamiliar territory or lost. If I get lost in my cage I have enough fuel to find a gas station.

There has to be another alternative - "Fuel cells" that's what I am looking for.

These containers have a CSA label on them. They are designed for gas storage in a garage which can get extremely hot in the summer. Its the same type of plastix gas container used in a small boat.

If you guys think this is crazy, then I will have to look for alternatives .

I think FOSSIL mentioned the IRON BUTT. I'll have to see how they do this.

DangerDan, not crazy, just not prudent...don't feel "beat up", gas tanks have a lot of design in them besides looks, rust preventative liners/coatings, internal baffles with vent holes to prevent "sloshing" and made out of metal to be stronger and electrically conductive to allow static electricity to not build up and discharge suddenly. Even the boat guys are finding out that fiberglass tanks do not work well with reformulated gas dissolving the esters that bond them together. Go with a tank designed for transportation and remember, your Harley is a vibrating, dynamic machine, operating in wide range of exposed conditions, and gas weighs 6.6 lbs per gallon. A lot of things to consider then just throwing your money down...

Now your talkin'...the one for the Road King that mounts under the rack looks good and still allows some storage above the luggage rack. Calculate the weight and remember most racks allow no more that 30 lbs...

"Now your talkin'...the one for the Road King that mounts under the rack looks good and still allows some storage above the luggage rack. Calculate the weight and remember most racks allow no more that 30 lbs... "

Thanks NEWHD74FAN, I forgot about the weight limit.
Thanks from everone who responed. I thought this was no big deal, guess I was wrong.

Fuel Cell it is.

I like the fuel cell that mounts behind the rear wheel. Should greatly assist in providing rapid acceleration if a cage runs into the back of your bike....

Nomex anyone?:D

I agree with the others. I stopped carrying around things that could explode and kill me after I got out of the army. (Well, except for the 100% O2 cylinder I carry for deco gas when I dive, but that's a different story.)

Any arguements against carrying an extra gallon of gas in my hardbag on a long trip. I thought about one of those red plastic 1 gallon containers. They seem sturdy enough.

I bungeed a 2 1/2 red plastic gas can on the back of my V-Rod and rode from Calif. to the homecoming rally in Kansas City, Mo., and on up thru the Black Hills before heading home. Here is a link to the blog about the trip:
It's been a long journey. You may have to scroll to older posts to see the pictures for day one.
I needed the extra gas, desperately, three times on the trip. I did keep a rain cover on the gas can. At $4+ per gallon, I also took it in the motel every night.

Last edited:
Never have been inclined to carry an extra container of gas on the bike. I've come real close to running dry on several occasions but have avoided becoming stranded.

Guess I'll take my chances on getting a ride to a gas station then carrying extra gas. Somehow carrying a container of gas gives me a vision of dumping the bike and then running down the road doing my best impression of Richard Prior.:newsmile03:

UglyJohn has the best idea a 1/4"by 4 ft or so what we call a California credit card:bigsmiley18:

Back