free website stats program which oil for primary? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

which oil for primary?

I use Formula + in the tranny and the primary of my 08 EG Classic and Amsoil Syn in the engine. I was told by several techs to run the Formula + in the Primary because it's better for it.
Spectro is great for the transmission.
My HD dealership said if you run Spectro in the tranny, you only need to change it every 3 years, if Formula + then change it once every year.
The Formula + in the primary, change every other oil change.
If you're ever going to get a leak from the primary Synthetic will find it.

If service yourself then I would just change all 3 every service interval at 5,000 miles. You can never over maintain your bike. I disagree with the time table your dealer is using. Some guys ride many thousands of miles a year and the time table does not make sense...IMO

My HD dealership said if you run Spectro in the tranny, you only need to change it every 3 years, if Formula + then change it once every year.
The Formula + in the primary, change every other oil change.
If you're ever going to get a leak from the primary Synthetic will find it.

I over maintain everything I own but IMO 3 years on the trans gear oil is a bit much. The molecules in any oil will break down and the molecules in gear oil are no exception. The shear factor caused by the gears meshing can and do damage the molecules and this is why you are changing the trans. It doesn't get combustion by products in it like an engine oil in the engine but it does deteriorate with use. It's only a quart of gear oil so why not change it a bit sooner like once a year. It's real cheap insurance to keep things in top condition.

I think when you HD guy said every Three Years he was Mostly Complementing the Spectro,, Like Dave at Redline say you could go 40,000 miles on their shockproof but Does suggest to change out at HD's suggested times...:D

signed....BUBBIE

I would side with the mechanic, he sees the bikes day in and day out. The sync would be better as long as it is approved for wet clutch use. It is a better lubricant when dealing with heat or cold. Sync 3, Mobile 1 20/50 are a couple that come to mind. Just make sure the stuff you are going to use has the JASSO MA spec and you'll be fine.

I would side with the mechanic, he sees the bikes day in and day out. The sync would be better as long as it is approved for wet clutch use. It is a better lubricant when dealing with heat or cold. Sync 3, Mobile 1 20/50 are a couple that come to mind. Just make sure the stuff you are going to use has the JASSO MA spec and you'll be fine.

What's a " Sync" ?:s

I use Rotella diesel oil in the primary. It is cheap and works well. 72000 miles on the bike and no problems with clutch slippage or finding neutral.
Ken

Would using Mobil1 V-Twin 20W-50 oil in the primary of my '08 Heritage be a safe bet?

I recently changed the primary using H-D standard 20W-50 oil but would be curious to see if the Mobil1 V-Twin syn oil would be a better choice. Opinions??

Would using Mobil1 V-Twin 20W-50 oil in the primary of my '08 Heritage be a safe bet?

I recently changed the primary using H-D standard 20W-50 oil but would be curious to see if the Mobil1 V-Twin syn oil would be a better choice. Opinions??
FRANKLY Speaking.. NO

Why Not Just Get and Use a oil that is For The Primary... You have been here long enough to know the OTHER choices available THAT are said to WORK Good...

I still say Stick with the winners... WHY experiment?

If It says WET CLUTCH APPROVED the choice is a better one...

IF others use this oil in the Primary and like it so be it. Not in MY Primary.

Better Choices are there..

You read things FROM ME that "Preach the Oil Religion" that say: I got 117,000 miles on an Original Clutch on my FXDS hot rod... I never got that FROM experimenting with Oils in My Bike.

so let the wars begin:boxing

Redline Products for ME.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, didn't I read somewhere that Redline and Formula+ were the best oils for the SE compensator?

Bubbie, didn't I read somewhere that Redline and Formula+ were the best oils for the SE compensator?

:newsmile075:You are sounding like me now...EH.. right on geez..:boxing

signed....BUBBIE

Hey, I supposed to be out fix'n the bike....

Back