free website stats program Which Bike should I buy ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Bike should I buy ?

Thanks again for all of your info, I had a good laugh reading the one where I was advised to look into the bikes coming out in a year or two seeing that I am waiting for a house to sell in order to be able to buy my bike. The good Dr. Doolittle made a good point about the touring bikes being made "frames and suspension" for the long rides. I am now leaning towards the Road King Classic. I have a question, does anyone have a link to pictures of the new Road King without the bags. I'm wondering what is behind the bags. I guess what I'm trying to say does the bike look good without the bags "like a soft tail deluxe looks good. Also, in bumper to bumper traffic how is the handling or balance of the touring bikes. I have ridden bikes off and on for 30 years or so but I have never had this large "or heavy" of a bike. I guess my question is in concern of the bike falling over. I know that once you pass a certain point that a heavy bike could be hard to manhandle back up to the balance point. Please dont laugh, This is something I have wondered.

Unfortunately, all the touring bikes look lousy if you take off the saddlebags - it exposes the air adjustable rear suspension which was never meant to be seen by the general public. I have heard about aftermarket kits that will hide this if you want to cruise around with your bags off. However, you'll get spoiled by them in no time and never take them off. Mine has tool kit, tire plug kit, air compressor, towel, baseball cap, rain gear, water bottles, alternate jacket/gloves, etc., etc.

The low speed handling of these big twins is not bad at all. As you said, these are heavy bikes but the center of gravity is nice and low and they are balanced beautifully. Take a rider's course if you haven't already and then practice a ton in a parking lot somewhere. It's all balance, head/eye control, friction zone manipulation, and confidence. Also get a hold of the Ride Like A Pro DVD for extra motivation.

Good Luck!

I know what you are going through---I purchased a 1200 Sportster a few years back and quickly realized I needed something bigger. I liked the performance the Sporty gave me but not so good for long rides. Is my next bike going to be a Softtail, RoadKing, Dyna or what? I settled on a 100th Anniversary Edition Dyna Wideglide Gold Key addition. All my bros told me I should have gone with a softtail---great ride and all that. I'm very happy with my Wideglide since it reminds me of the classic choppers back in the day.

I know what you are going through---I purchased a 1200 Sportster a few years back and quickly realized I needed something bigger. I liked the performance the Sporty gave me but not so good for long rides. Is my next bike going to be a Softtail, RoadKing, Dyna or what? I settled on a 100th Anniversary Edition Dyna Wideglide Gold Key addition. All my bros told me I should have gone with a softtail---great ride and all that. I'm very happy with my Wideglide since it reminds me of the classic choppers back in the day.

You were probably right regarding starting off with a Sporty, as the majority of previous responders probably did and later now recommend otherwise...but consider this, starting off small if having never ridden a Harley before is not necessarily a bad thing, the riding community loses new riders all the time due to inexperience and riding over their heads. Especially if you buy too big (power or bulk wise vs your ability or use) and find yourself riding less because of it being too much hardware for your riding style. :33:

I have been riding smaller metrics for many years, having migrated to the HD only recently, and say that no matter what, a bagger is not necessarily an entry level bike by any stretch...especially if you ride mainly in town and short hops less than 50 miles...800 plus pounds of bike with plenty of bulk is not easy to handle in suburbia, maintenance and insurance costs are higher, verses a Sporty at 600 lbs, minimally equipped with things that can go wrong and soft luggage, with the extra money left over to tailor it to your needs in the short term, especially if you are a casual, newbie rider...IMHO. :s

The more you ride the better you will feel whatever your choice... "SMILES PER MILE" trumps any decision or riding choice you make any day.:D

Last edited:
If you think you are ready to handle a big bike I would go with a Roadking. I have owned three and have never regretting any of the three. I have not owned but ridden a Softail deluxe, Heritage Classic, and Heritage Springer. Although all three are mighty fine and very distinct, with the Roadking you are good to go the long haul, with no smoke in the room. I have ridden over 70K miles on Roadkings, most of these on highways and interstates.

Another thing about the Roadking over the other touring models, to me it is the best model for personalizing more so than the Glides. I guess that is because I am into the nostalgia theme and history of a Harley and not the contemporary motiffs.

I think you will be happy with either model, but happier with a Roadking. I know a number of gents who went from a Softail to a Roadking, but never from a Roadking to a Softail.

Now....git that house sold...pronto......

Thanks to all of you for your advice, I do appreciate it. Randall, I'm with you on the Road King. I love the old school look of the bike. The color that really grabbed me is the antique white and deep turquoise. I also like the fact that for around town the windshield can be quickly removed. This will be my first Harley, my last bike was a Honda 600 f2 Supersport. I am now 46 years old and a crotch rocket doesn't even catch my eye anymore when they are on the road, but the Harleys I see and hear, well, you know. My wife has warned me that this bike is it for a long time and I see the Road King as a bike I will not outgrow and also a bike that looks just as nice when they are older. So this is definitely the one, Pray guys for the house to sell soon as HD needs my business and I want their product.

Thanks to all of you for your advice, I do appreciate it. Randall, I'm with you on the Road King. I love the old school look of the bike. The color that really grabbed me is the antique white and deep turquoise. I also like the fact that for around town the windshield can be quickly removed. This will be my first Harley, my last bike was a Honda 600 f2 Supersport. I am now 46 years old and a crotch rocket doesn't even catch my eye anymore when they are on the road, but the Harleys I see and hear, well, you know. My wife has warned me that this bike is it for a long time and I see the Road King as a bike I will not outgrow and also a bike that looks just as nice when they are older. So this is definitely the one, Pray guys for the house to sell soon as HD needs my business and I want their product.

Good choice, fellow worker has a Road King...the name says it all...:57:

You better juice the engine on the King. I have ridden one and I would make sure you at least get stage 1 done minimal.

Back