free website stats program where'd they go? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

where'd they go?

A lot of those cheap old bikes were resurected when fuel prices went through the roof. The folks that had them laying around all of sudden took notice of fuel prices and got them running again or the economy made them finally sell them off for the much needed $$$$.

Bodeen

dang...

i just tried to kick that thing (has electric start but the father in law said the last time he tried to use it he smelled the electric smoke that kills starter motors)...

.....stupid compression! *wipes sweat from forhead*

from what i have found out...$1000 can get me a new heavy duty starter and it wont burn out from the compression.....might be the way to go, thought id keep it old school and kick it every time....no. thats not enjoyable..

Wow a free bike.. much better than a free lunch..get a manual..get some stock bars & stock tubes. sounds like your my size. bike will be more managable my opinion...& Welcome.....

HA...no way is it free - had to get married to get it!! lol

dang...

i just tried to kick that thing (has electric start but the father in law said the last time he tried to use it he smelled the electric smoke that kills starter motors)...

.....stupid compression! *wipes sweat from forhead*

from what i have found out...$1000 can get me a new heavy duty starter and it wont burn out from the compression.....might be the way to go, thought id keep it old school and kick it every time....no. thats not enjoyable..

Once you get everything dialed in and set up right, it should fire on kick somewhat easy everytime.

After seeing the pics, you may want to switch back to mid controls, would be 1) more short-leg friendly 2) alot easier to ride/learn to ride on.
You may even get lucky and find someone to trade you a stock set of mid controls for the forward controls that are on that bike.

i think i have come to a conclusion, i think i might buy a new sportster to learn how to ride with...ride and ride and ride to get good and comfortable with a bike, all the while fixing up the shovelhead my father in law gave me - then once i am confident that i am good at riding - i might give the sportster to the wife (she said she wants to ride with me but would rather have her own) and then the shovelhead will be shined up and ready to ride with it set up the way i need it (wich also includes adding at least one mirror and turn signals - 2 things that it is currently without)..........and also apparently i want an electric start - kicking it could be a good back up for starting if the battery goes out on me....emergency use only though...holy cow that thing has some compression!

this post is more for me as im sure that what i do is of little importance to the fourm as a whole - its nice to see my plan actually out in type though :) (sorry)

i think i have come to a conclusion, i think i might buy a new sportster to learn how to ride with...ride and ride and ride to get good and comfortable with a bike, all the while fixing up the shovelhead my father in law gave me - then once i am confident that i am good at riding - i might give the sportster to the wife (she said she wants to ride with me but would rather have her own) and then the shovelhead will be shined up and ready to ride with it set up the way i need it (wich also includes adding at least one mirror and turn signals - 2 things that it is currently without)..........and also apparently i want an electric start - kicking it could be a good back up for starting if the battery goes out on me....emergency use only though...holy cow that thing has some compression!

this post is more for me as im sure that what i do is of little importance to the fourm as a whole - its nice to see my plan actually out in type though :) (sorry)

That is a good idea! GO FOR IT!:s

Good luck!. I would definitely agree with some of the others here and go ahead and take the riders safety course. You will not regret it. I purchased my first bike after just 4 hours of the course and rode it home. Prior to that I had only sat on a bike 1 time before.

As for finding a cheaper bike, this was my initial thought, which my father-in-law swayed me away from, as he said i would be comfortable riding in no time so I should just get what I want, which is the bike you see to the left, 06 Dyna Street Bob. First few minutes on it a bit nervous, but I knew I could ride it thanks to the safety course. If you are dead set on getting a cheaper sporty or something I have seen a few, just saw one on craigslist, '82 for 2500, so they are around just have to keep looking for them.

Good luck and nice ride your father-in-law gave you.

It may be that your thread on the forum is for your own benifit
but as i see it you have taken the first few steps on a journey and im sure that many of the members will assist where they can and enjoy the journey with you
any bike will give you experience and more confidence for the larger bike just keep taking the steps one at a time and you will be riding that old shovel

Brian

Back