free website stats program Where to locate straps for securing EGC to trailer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Where to locate straps for securing EGC to trailer

A good wheel chock does look like a good investment, but won't have a bonafide chock for this haul. The trailer I picked up has a 6" wide iron channel running down the center of trailer, with a probably 60deg adjoining flare at the end to rest the front tire into. So got something to ratchet up against as I'm securing the front end.

Like those chrome tie downs...maybe on the Christmas wish list :D - also like the idea of a 2nd strap. Trailer came with 4 straps..they look to be in good shape, but definitely been used, so may grab a new pair up at the HD.

Good stuff guys - thanks.

If you are going to by new straps, buy them at home depot or lowes, get the ones with the thick webbing, and they will cost less than at the dealers.

If this trailer does not have a wheel chock then you are going to want to do something the keep the front wheel in the straight ahead position. I have used a seperate strap anchored on 1 side of the trailer, make a full turn around the wheel, with something soft under the strap then to your tie down point on the opposite side of the trailer. Use the same anchor points that you use for the other 2 front stabilizing straps.

Dont be tempted to omit this step if you do not have a wheel chock, or some other means of keeping the front wheel immobile. Keeping that front wheel from moving is the key to sucessfully trailering.

That method will certainly work, but the use of soft ties also protects your ratchet straps. If one gets damaged, a soft tie is much cheaper to replace than a good ratchet strap.

Rachet straps are cheap and I never had any issues with the rachet straps cutting or fraying.

I slip the straps between the fender and the forks. Makes the bike rock solid and allows the bike suppension to continue to function as it should. Rear straps around the rear foot pegs, but just snug enough to keep the rear of the bike from going side to side. Have never had even one strap loosen!

Why have your bike bouncing around inside the trailer??? The trailer is going to bounce enough as it is and the weight of the bike bouncing uncontrollably in the back of the trailer is just extra strain and increased shock load on the rachet straps. I use a wheel chock and I cinch the bike down when hauling. I have hauled my 08 RG back and forth across the USA so many times that I am on my second set of tires on my 2009 enclosed trailer and I have never had any problems.

Back