free website stats program Where to get mileage adjusted on used speedometer? | Harley Davidson Forums

Where to get mileage adjusted on used speedometer?

oldgeezer

I bought a set of used gauges for my bike and need help with getting the mileage calibrated on the speedometer.

If anyone has any experience with this and can help me it would make me so happy. Thanks.:newsmile030:

Usually it's a dealer only item.

Agree here and would add the dealer you do business with or the last one to Know your bike.. Will usually send off spedo to have mileage put on or taken off...
The "Put On" mileage is most times easier than asking for some taken "Off"... Understandable here.. but the record kept for your bike is Necessary for them to do any thing But match what shows on Old odometer.

signed....BUBBIE

The local dealer says he cannot send it off, that Harley will not reset it. I called Harley they told me the same thing. I also called two other dealers and they said it will have to be someone outside of HD, that HD cannot be liable.

The fear is that you could send them two odometers with both having considerably less miles than is on the bike and have the mileage reset to the least one of the two odometers, therefore altering the mileage of the bike legally.

I know it can be done on cars and pickups through the dealerships. The place I work has many vehicles and sometimes the speedo's break. We take them to the dealer, and the dealer sends them to a certified recalibration shop for the work to be done.

I know these cars are Harleys, but if it can be done legally on cars, then there should be a way to have it done on bikes.

Times must of tightened up since I last spoke to HD shop.. At the time I had a New speedo and it showed "0" miles on it. I needed it to read 10,200 or so and they would send it in ONLY if they removed the old and installed a new one.. I bought the speedo and never had it done... So now , someplace in a box is a bran-new speedo with "0" miles on it... Fits a 2000 dyna model. Gotta get all my stuff together and sell it..... Someday...

From what I read here, HD will do the mileage change thing but have Their rules in play... Must buy(new) from them and they do the work to replace..

I bought a New PT cruiser(01) years back and it came out of Canada, the speedo had to Legally be changed out from metric and it was done at a border town spedo shop before it could be sent down to a US dealer... Lots of Red Tape.

signed....BUBBIE

I'll go along with it as a factory programming thing and probably Harley has had issues in the past and does not do it any more.

I work in service at a truck dealer (Freightliner) and we deal in several engines. To replace the speedo gauge and install the mileage from the ECM, a factory password, or also known as a backdoor password is necessary from the engine manufacturer. We get charged by Cummins and Cat for that, since Freightliner owns Detroit Diesel, we get it free. So we have to pass any charges on to the vehicle owner. Most opt out and just let it ride with the new one set at 0 miles. The true vehicle mileage on electronically controlled engines is found in the memory of the ECM.

You want us to cut you a key by the vin number and we have to make a copy of your registration and drivers license before we can do that.

I had the same problem three months ago. Luckily the parts guy at the local dealer understood my predicament and simply ordered a new speedo with the milage put on it for me. I did the whole thing over the phone and had it shipped to my house. He didn't ask for anything except for name and credit card number.
WAP.gif

Back