free website stats program When you park, what do you do with your stuff? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When you park, what do you do with your stuff?

At bike events I used to leave my helmets unlocked and on the seat. That all changed at Americade this year when some (EDIT) stole one of my good full face helmets right off the bike. I now lock the helmets and put jackets, gloves etc. in the hard bags. 40 years of motorcycles and this is the first issue that I had with thieves, but I guess the biker community reflects the persona of the general population and has it's own percent of thieves.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Never leave the jacket, leave the helmet on the seat for short stops. The local sheriff's
department gives away gunlocks that are perfect for helmets, they have a flexible cable
that's long enough to lock up both helmets. It's made by Master.

I'm always way more concerned about locking the bike than the helmet.

I normally put the helmet on the right mirror - and put my gloves under that. I will lock things up if its a big parking lot - like the mall... If I can't put my jacket in one of the bags I'll keep it with me - I wouldn't be comfortable just leaving it on the bike.

I trust bikers; however, not everyone else. I lock everything in my tourpak or side bags when I stop. 20 years ago, I'd leave everything hangin' from a handlebar. Different society today, people just don't respect other folks' stuff anymore.

At bike events, I tend to be much more carefree and trust in the unwritten mutual respect; helmet on the mirror, gloves just seem to go in back pocket, still jacket usually goes in the bags. Elsewhere, helmet locked to the bike or carried. No need to offer added sport to the jokers where we have helmet laws.

Early in my riding days had a helmet stolen and had to ride many uncomfortable miles back home without it. Now I lock helmet via D-rings through mirror stalk and bars. Jacket always stays with me...! Much as I think of the unwritten code for bikers, just don't think there is honor when it comes to thieves and HD (High Dollar) V-Twins...JMO.

Helmet on the mirror,glasses in the windshield pouch and the only time I wear a jacket is when its cold out,so I keep it with me.

Always lock the helmets with the harley lock on the roll bar. Gloves and and such go into the saddle bag. For longer stops I also attach the disc brake lock.
<------Not trusting like that :)

Back