free website stats program When to replace piston rings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When to replace piston rings

fabrozor go in and fix the problems you have, if you see the guides are worn pass tolerance then replace them for sure, but with bad seals they have gotten plenty of oil so you would not image the wear to be too excessive:)
I have never replaced a cylinder studs or head bolts unless needed because it was broken or I doing a S/E super high compression build, I have however used the new chrome molly head bolts on the left side of the heads where they show because they look good and don't rust up. It wouldn't hurt to install new rings with 40,000 miles if you wanted to, but do not replace them with out doing a cross hatch on the cylinders or the new rings won't seat, most engine tear downs the rings can be reused no problem, it's up to you, it's hard to draw a line sometime on what you should do and what you can do. Get the new and improved valve seals on, the new and improved oil system with tensioners and ride, there's always next winter or the winter after.

Thank you for this new answer which brings new questions to me.

There is only one spark plug that was cover with black so i guess not all the valve stem seal are bad. So not all the valve guides got oil.

- how do you check if guides are in tolerance ?
- i don't anderstand what means "cross hatch"
- i don't anderstand what means "tear downs"

guide tolerance you would need measuring tools you probably don't have, just feel the fit of the valve in the guide and if it's not clanging around, run it, but too much wear in a valve guide can cause the seal to leak also, it kinda worries me you have 40,000 miles and the valve seal just started leaking, you could have other problems also, would be good to have a tech in your area just look at the heads before you reinstall them.

cross hatch is just using a ball hone on the cylinders at a 45 degree angle leaving a roughness to seat the rings with,

tear down is a term for taking the engine apart,

Did you get a HD service manual? Follow it and you'll be fine.

Back