free website stats program When to go to synthetic oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

When to go to synthetic oil?

Bobcat316

Got 1200 on the new bike and going to change fluids this weekend (rain forecast all weekend). Talking to a couple of buds that serviced their own bikes, and they say the 1000 mile should be just standard harley oil. They tell me the bike is not fully broke in and synthetic oil should come around 5000 miles and from then on.
One guy likes AMSoil, but both say 5000 miles to be sure everything is worn in correctly.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Bob

Got 1200 on the new bike and going to change fluids this weekend (rain forecast all weekend). Talking to a couple of buds that serviced their own bikes, and they say the 1000 mile should be just standard harley oil. They tell me the bike is not fully broke in and synthetic oil should come around 5000 miles and from then on.
One guy likes AMSoil, but both say 5000 miles to be sure everything is worn in correctly.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Bob

Fooey!

Check this out:

Synthetic Oils In New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I agree change to the syn now . I dont use syn in my cars , and I didnt use syn in my water cooled metric cruiser's but in the harley its syn from the first oil change on . Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin summer , and Mobil 1 15w-50 spring and or fall it just depense when I do a oil change ..O.h and as far as Amsoil ..........this is gonna raise some stink ........Its alot of hype . Ive spoken to several hobby aircraft guru's who test their oil all the time and the mobil 1 shine's, amsoil has a elavated level of calcium ,which makes it look good in testing but the mobil 1 and rotella 15w-40 are the 2 best ols on the market ............now this is information that I got from guys who build and fly there airplane 's almost daily so thats my 2 cents ..........Keith

Old hbits die hard - Just bought a new bike - did stage two at 1600 miles and will change to syn at 5K

Mine has run synthetic since day 1.30,000 miles now and no leaks,no burning oil and I ride it harder than most.(Hobbit excluded.):newsmile030:

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Bob

Harley CVO bikes come from the factory with syn oil in them. You can do ot right away. I do all mine when I get them home from the dealer new.

Like Smitty & most have said, I am guilty of the old school "fiction" and believed the Dino oil break-in regimen...went to automotive school and rebuilt plenty of engines using STP oil treatment (nothing more than semi-synthetic oil additives in the raw back then). Studied a "bit" on oil and came to some personal observations: 1) Dino oils start from complex mineral oils with plenty bad and good within...so begins the long process to filter and "crack" most of the impurities out. Once refined, "man made" synthetic additives are put in for viscosity, anti-corrosion etc. so you essentially have Semi-Synthetic oil already.

Now imagine all the R&D technology used by the oil companies learned since the turn of the century, to separate the best and worse of the Dino oil...into making pure Synthetic oil minus all the impurities to start, then add additives...when 2) some bright guy decided to market it, though twice as expensive to manufacture in the strict sense, it could be sold at 4x the price with all the major benefits of long life, less wear...what makes sense?

Finally, 3) the whole idea of engine break-in is to "work harden" the surfaces...sort of like "seasoning a sauce pan or heat treating working surfaces" not "wear them" par se. Does it makes sense to use the 100% pure stuff just from an intuitive point of view....certainlly makes sense to me, AFTER I came to HDTimeline and the guys here weighed in to help to sort out this stuff. Yeah, I am a "techie" and tend to overthink things...rather than use my "gut"! JMHO

Last edited:
Thanks guys

For the exellent input!
I have a couple of buddies that say AMSoil is great oil for the Harleys, and i NOTICED SOME Mobil 1 talk here.
And other brand recommendations?
Thanks
Bob

Back