free website stats program When to adjust the clutch? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When to adjust the clutch?

Thought you may want to read this post from another forum about clutch problems with some Sporty models that sounds similar to what the OP is experiencing.

Clutch Alert!

Just a head's up on a real problem with the Sporty clutch. The stock design uses an additional spring plate in the center of the clutch pack. It is a double plate with small springs between the main plate. These plates are all held together by brass rivets.

Those rivets are the weakest link in the entire drive mechanism

Turns out that is EXACTLY what happened to mine at 15K miles. It's 3 years old I don't think it was under warranty. I took it to California Choppers here in San Francisco. They had it less than day, Cost about $500+ to get a new clutch and parts installed. He put a stock clutch back in, he said he had issues a couple of times with the Screaming Eagle clutches. I had him put allen wrench scrwes on the derby so I wouldn't run it the stripping torx issue again.
If there's ANOTHER clutch on the market they someone thinks is a good replacement, I'd like to hear about it.

The other site says a Barnett Clutch works with Sporties:

The Barnett part DS223739 replaced the spring plate with another steel plate. . .

Sportster (91 & later) and Buell (91-02)
307-30-10011(K)
307-30-20011(CF)
Kevlar or Carbon Fiber Extra-Plate Clutch Kit
Consists of nine friction plates and eight steel drive plates. Adds 12% more surface area to clutch pack. (Note: Double steel drive plate not used with this kit.)

barnettclutches.com/products/clutch_plates_springs.aspx?type=clutches_harley&clutch_make=Sportster+%2891+%26+later%29_and_Buell+%2891-02%29&clutch_cc=

You will also need a spring compression tool...

Buy the Motion pro tool, not the Barnett tool for compressing the spring. The barnett tool is okay but not as good a Motion pro.

Their web site indicates it is for the 1200cc up to model year 01. That poster called and said it is still compatible.

motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0137/

is this like when you buy a car, all of a sudden you see the same one everywhere you look? seems like a bunch of Sportster clutch issues coming around!

Wharfrat1959, welcome to the HDTimeline forum. While it may seem that similar threads seem to occur in batches, it is usually because rider introduction includes clutch "feel" being a personal issue, rather than a problem. :34:

One has to remember that our forum brings together a lot of riders who want answers to questions that are convenient and easy to find. Some just find it easier to generate a thread, rather than "surf" our website a bit. There are many topics of discussion and answers to many simple or complex issues at your fingertips.:s

Check out the Self Help tab near the top to find answers or Search tab to find related threads just by typing in keywords. Check this site out, and you will find most questions can be answered with a few clicks and a bit of typing.:D

Looks like I'm having the same issues with my clutch, but it doesn't feel or sound for that matter. Like anything is rattling around. I just replaced the fluids. And I still can't get the clutch to adjust properly. Sometimes I have to get to higher RPM's before it will shift properly. Sometimes at a stop clutch pulled in she wants to roll forward, and by the next light nothing. Really confusing.

You didn't mention what oil you used when changing the oil.

If the oil is too heavy for the application , your symptom would be as you described with the bike creeping. Also a cable starting to go out would cause it too. Try another clutch adjustment and see what you get. Always adjust the clutch with a COLD engine, doing it warmed up will cause a problem.

Back