free website stats program when parked is your bike in gear or neutral? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

when parked is your bike in gear or neutral?

When parked is your bike in gear or in neutral?

• In Gear

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • In Neutral

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • In gear on incline

Votes: 14 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
always park in first gear - same as parking brake - start in neutral - clutch in - front brake applied. used to leave in neutral but bike can walk on side stand.

I had this happen on my Goldwing. I stopped on a slight incline, shifted into neutral, and left the bike running while I walked over to get my helmet. I heard a loud bang a few seconds later. The Wing had "walked" right off the kick stand. I learned my lesson that day and have always put the Wing and my Road Glide in gear whenever they are stopped.

Always parked in gear:eek:n slope,on flat,in garage.Always.And like the Doctor i take the slack out.
Always start in neutral with clutch in.Always.Lessens drag and IF one happens to not have it in neutral-----
Low speed falls can cost as much as an 'off'.

My 'International' model is supposed to have an interlock so it wont start in gear;but mine must have missed out.

I always park in gear in case the parking break fails. But I think I will make a change based on this thread, I will start pulling in the clutch as well as the mostly nutral. I am not sure why I don't, because a couple of times I have hit the starter in gear. A bad habbit for sure. Never to old to make a change for the bettr. Thanks Yall

Incline in gear BUT IF level, I use neutral..

Reason ; IF something like a car bumps into the bike while parked, it might move and Not so much damage to the bike..

signed....BUBBIE

Incline in gear BUT IF level, I use neutral..

Reason ; IF something like a car bumps into the bike while parked, it might move and Not so much damage to the bike..

signed....BUBBIE

I use to do that, but when parked in a parking lot in a shopping center, saw some kids playing around on some motorcycles, would not want the bike to roll off and crush something or someone.:(

Glider,
Why in neutral when on flat surface in garage? My assumption was always in gear no matter flat or on an incline, my reasoning is that in gear can't roll at all.

Back