free website stats program Wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheels

Ozzie82

I have purchased new wheels for my softail and new bearings, sleeve.
My ? is, there is a void between my sleeve or spacer and the rim, should I pack the void with grease when installing, Thanks.:)

not on the bearing itself, there is a spacer that goes from bearing to bearing and there is a void between spacer and rim itself.
The spacer seems to float between the bearings on the axle. Thanks:)

not on the bearing itself, there is a spacer that goes from bearing to bearing and there is a void between spacer and rim itself.
The spacer seems to float between the bearings on the axle. Thanks:)

When you say floats, how much space is there from the bearings to the spacer? Are the bearings pressed fully into the wheels?

I've not installed them at the moment, wheel is factory spoke wheel and new bearings from HD and spacer also, in between the spacer and rim only there is room to store a little bearing grease there and was wondering if I should apply grease in this area. I know the spacer does not rotate on axle when all is properly bolted down. I maybe thinking wrong about having grease floating around spacer. Thanks

I've not installed them at the moment, wheel is factory spoke wheel and new bearings from HD and spacer also, in between the spacer and rim only there is room to store a little bearing grease there and was wondering if I should apply grease in this area. I know the spacer does not rotate on axle when all is properly bolted down. I maybe thinking wrong about having grease floating around spacer. Thanks

As Smitty said earlier they are sealed bearings and they are packed with grease. The only thing you need to do is put some neversize (nickel compound) and slide the axel through and button it up according to the manual.

Thanks, the next thing I need to get is a manual, the nickel compound is it sold at HD or some other supplier, Thanks again.

Thanks, the next thing I need to get is a manual, the nickel compound is it sold at HD or some other supplier, Thanks again.

Harley may sell it, but you can pick it up at most hardware stores and I think I've seen it some of the big box stores-Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot. Ebay is a good place to pick up the manual prette cheap, it's one of the best investments you can make for your bike.

Thanks again, I'm new to this site, I seen also there is download manuals here, but you have to have 150 post before download, is this correct? Thanks

Thanks again, I'm new to this site, I seen also there is download manuals here, but you have to have 150 post before download, is this correct? Thanks

Welcome to the forum and I hope we helped you. The site does require the # of post to keep people from signing on downloading and selling them as I understand it. If you come online much you will be surprised how fast you get to 150. If you go to the self help section at the top of the page there is probably something on installing the front wheel of your bike. Don't get frustrated ask questions, we have some really knowledgeable members here.

Yes you need to be an established member to get manuals that we have for download.

Contributor$: Max 1 file/24 hours.
Registered Member is Required: 150 posts and 150 days active membership.

The delay time for a Register Member for each download on each file is 604800 seconds (7 days), so members must wait one week after the first file finished downloading before downloading another one.

This is to help prevent the pirating of the manuals by delaying the downloads.

Thanks Tank. I knew that it was something like that.

Back