free website stats program wheel weight damaging front fender | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

wheel weight damaging front fender

I just got a new tire and had it changed (just the tire) and balanced at a metric shop. They gave me the choice of using either "beads" or standard weights. After reading this post, I went with beads.

Wheel weights have been around for ever and only recently seem to be causing problems. I suspect the factory will figure out the problem quickly. Dealing with after market shops eliminates the weights the factory is using. From what I have read about beads, I'd go with the weights. Keep us posted on how the beads work out.

I had my first ride 2 days ago on my new rear tire with the beads. It seems to be fine. My bike never had weights on the original rim that I could see (either front or back).

GREAT INFO !!!!!

I have a 2011 CVO Ultra - thought I picked up a stone and damaged the front fender. Small dent just like the picture above. Called the dealer - they said to bring it in for a look and said it should be covered. ($1,000) fender !!

The tape is still on the wheel but the weight is gone. Dent and missing weight are on the Right side ...

Quit using wheel wheights and switch to Dyna Beads, they go inside your tire and work great :majesty, also no more ugly wheights that can fly off!

Sticky Weights need to have a clean surface, We wash them down with alcohol, let them air dry before applying the weights, even the oil from your finger tips can cause the glue on the tape to not adhere good and alot of these weights have sat too long IMO for the adhesive to be affective JMO

Glad to hear that the dealers are taking care of business.

On another note; I recently took off my weights and put in the Dyna beads and have had no problems and the ride is as smooth as it ever was.

Just saying, there is always an alternative.

Back