free website stats program What's Up With My Brake Light? | Harley Davidson Forums

What's Up With My Brake Light?

When I hit my rear brake pedal (1993 FXR), the brake lamp filament glows just barely at first, then after a minute or so gets to its normal brightness. If I'm riding and not on the brake, it goes back to that state so when I hit the brake, I get no brake light. If I'm on the brake a lot, it stays "energized" (if that's what you wanna call it). The bulb has been changed, the socket cleaned, the leads off of the brake switch cleaned. Not sure how the switch works to deliver voltage to the wiring...does it sounds like a bad switch?

Most likely your brake pressure switch is bad. they get old and stop working. simple test hook the two brake light wires together at the pressure switch if it works ok. It's the pressure switch.

Most likely your brake pressure switch is bad. they get old and stop working. simple test hook the two brake light wires together at the pressure switch if it works ok. It's the pressure switch.

Yeah...I did that too...got old and stopped working. At least at a "real" job. The FXR , a '61 Corvair Lakewood wagon, and my newest, a '67 VW bus, keep me very busy. Yeah...it was the switch. Thanks for the test tip. I shoulda thought of that, but elec. is my nemesis...hate the stuff.

My FXR is heavily non-stock. Pretty sure the stock brake switch screwed into the MC? Mine is inline.

All back together and working perfectly. Went to Auto Zone and got a Wells RB401 stoplight switch (cross number from a Echlin SL147 number I found on a V-Twin Forum thread) for $8.39.

Thanks guys.

Back