free website stats program Whats the widest rear tire available? | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats the widest rear tire available?

H-D makes a wide tire kit. Wide Tire Kit - Dyna Models 43768-06
But for the price it`s not worth it to me for only 20mm gain.

Oft times going one size larger will not require mods. That said, the real question which Cyborg eluded to is WHY? Performance will likely not improve and actually may degrade along with fuel mileage because the tire profile may not be optimal for the rim width being used, so the tire bead is pinched inwards slightly, rounding the profile and actually decreasing the size of the contact patch.

The other thing is looks, so that little 5mm change may not be large enough to justify cost as well. Most brands other than the stock Dunlops average $80 or so more, so your ROI (Return On Investment) may not ultimately work as well as planned...JMO! :s

My stock 2010 FXDC has a 160 mm rear tire. What is the widest tire I can go without doing Mods?.......:hii

Key is how much clearance you have with the belt. If the tire gets too wide you will run into potential interference with the belt. Measure how much you have there and that would be the MAX. that you would want to go as long as you have at least 1/4" air gap! My UC ('03) calls for MTs, but I pulled my belt guard off long ago and put MUs on. I am crowding that 1/4"!!

TQ

180 is as wide as you can go on the Dyna without more mods. Do not, I repeat do not, waste your money on the wide tire kit, just buy a 180 tire. As long as you have not lowered the bike you will be fine. Now if you ride 2-up you may need it. All you are really paying for is a SE 180 rear tire and some brackets. If you plan on putting bags on or relocating your rear signals then the brackets are useless...With that said if you want a set of brackets, I'll sell them to you cheap, just took them off my Dyna (I wasted the money), then you can go get a 180MM tire that you want, if that is your desire. The instructions for the wide tire kit you can find in the self help section, and I posted a bunch of pics previously of the wide tire kit install.

===============================================

Here is the link to my wide tire install
Wide Tire Kit Installation - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
180 is as wide as you can go on the Dyna without more mods. Do not, I repeat do not, waste your money on the wide tire kit, just buy a 180 tire. As long as you have not lowered the bike you will be fine. Now if you ride 2-up you may need it. All you are really paying for is a SE 180 rear tire and some brackets. If you plan on putting bags on or relocating your rear signals then the brackets are useless...With that said if you want a set of brackets, I'll sell them to you cheap, just took them off my Dyna (I wasted the money), then you can go get a 180MM tire that you want, if that is your desire. The instructions for the wide tire kit you can find in the self help section, and I posted a bunch of pics previously of the wide tire kit install.

Thanks! I will probably go wider next summer sometime!

I already installed HD leather bags,& relocated my turn signals to the rear fender by the license plate. I ride with a passenger on occasion. Will I be alright with just installing the 180 Tire?

Just a note of caution when it comes to installing wider tyres:
The given tyre width is not the overall (or max) width, but the thread width.
Depending on the design of the tyres, the width will vary between manufacturers - even between different tyre models or even rim diametres. I see that some manufacturers specify overall width on the web (e.g. Avon).

Use a couple of straight edges and measure yours, then measure the air gap to the belt. Now subtract a bit (TQ suggests 1/4" or so), and you now know what you've got to play with:
Your tyre width + avbl air gap x 2 = max tyre width.

As an example, my Conti Milestone 140 rear tyre is 153 mm wide...

I already installed HD leather bags,& relocated my turn signals to the rear fender by the license plate. I ride with a passenger on occasion. Will I be alright with just installing the 180 Tire?

Yes, you will be fine. You won't need the brackets that come with the wide tire kit. Just go ahead and get the 180 tire you want.

Yes, you will be fine. You won't need the brackets that come with the wide tire kit. Just go ahead and get the 180 tire you want.

Thanks! This summer I plan on installing the Chrome HD 17" Wheel Part #41174-07, Chrome Swing Arm Part # 48458-10, a Chrome Sprocket Cover Part # 37756-07, & the wider 180 Rear Tire!.....:small3d026:

Back