free website stats program what's the best repair manual? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

what's the best repair manual?

Chiltons has good Manuals also, They copy from the factory manuals you can order on lone or at Napa

As others have said the HD Manual(s) are the best, but in 3 divided in 3 volumes (Service Manual (Procedures), Parts Manual (Assy Diagrams & P/Ns) and the Electrical Diagnostics (DTC Flow Charts and Codes)...at $65 MSRP can be quite pricey.

Being new to the HD party of 3 years, I have all three...but like Fin_676, when on the ROAD, I would opt for the 4th...$35 Clymer which though a bit "generic" as stated earlier...does combine the best of all 3, with a color coded schematic a BIG plus in a rather "tidy" size. If I had to choose 1 and on a limited budget the Clymer gets my nod (Sorry Guys). But when home doing the "heavy lifting" the $65 Service Manual gets the most use without a doubt. As Smitty901 says...your ride you decide...but decisions seem always to be based on "grey" rather than black & white.

So I went to the Glendale dealer to get my manual... and they're out of stock! ...lol well, I guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow when I go to a dealer close to work...

So I went to the Glendale dealer to get my manual... and they're out of stock! ...lol well, I guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow when I go to a dealer close to work...

What you have to consider is that as your bike isnt the latest model it may be something the dealer has to order in for you :(

Brian

What you have to consider is that as your bike isnt the latest model it may be something the dealer has to order in for you :(

Brian
yes, that's exactly what they said, and it'd take 2 weeks to order it, I'll call around to other dealers before making the drive tomorrow

HD is the best because you can get the manual for you're year and model, not the clymer or other manuals that cover you're model for the last ten years. Years ago I had a Goldwing that I replaced the stator on and when I pulled it apart I was taking mental pictures as to how to reasemble, then when it came time to put it back together I was using the Clymer manual as a double check as to the way things went back together. Everything was going good till it came to hooking up the coils and sparkplug wires and in my mind I knew which coil fired which cylinder but the manual said different. Believing that the manual was correct I hooked everything up the way it said. As soon as I started the motor I knew something was wrong because it had a miss. You wouldn't believe the time and aggrivtion spent sorting it out because I knew It was done the way the book said. It finally came down to comparing the fireing order to the way the coils were hooked up and I knew it was't right. Hooked them up the way I thought they should have been all along and it purred like a kitten. Clymer manual went straight to trash.

Always use factory manuals when you can get them, they are worth it. If I cannot get them I purchase Clymer. I need all the information I can get with trikes and some manuals seem to by pass information.
Go with factory manuals, they're complete.

I agree. Get the service and parts manuals both. New or used doesn't matter.

Back