free website stats program whats a considered a classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

whats a considered a classic

1945 pan would be consider amazing.
For me the term classic is more the effect the bike had rather than age.
Just like cars just because it is old does not make it special.
Some bikes were trend setters the first or last of their blood line.
one year wonders ect.
look at it like this No one gets excited about a 1985 goldwing they would almost have to pay you to take it, but any 1985 HD would still have and intrested following.
If you had one of the first EVO's that would be a bike of intrest or the first or last Knuckle,pan .
========================================================
Classic means different things to different people. Smitty and I seem to be alike on this. '53-'54 Chevys are not usually considered classic '55-'57's are almost always referred to as classics. My '68 shovelhead is not a classic because it's made up of so many different year parts.

Starting Brit twins was similar, only they had a "tickler" not a choke, and more kicks (a lot more) though they did not hurt your shin nearly as bad...

if the points were good and correctly set starting my old bonnie wasnt hard
pull in clutch and kick over twice (frees off the clutch plates no lurch when selecting first)
tickle carbs till fuel flows out
turn key on
put right foot on kickstart throw whole body in the air as all weight comes down through kickstart right hand is rotating the throttle if a good day it roars into life (previous owner had stole the baffles)
2nd kick always got it going
But the points needed attention monthly to keep it thet good
(still miss that bike)

Brian

Here's my 1968 when I bought it, a classic.
1968Before.jpg

Here's my 1968 after lighting it up a bit, classic 60's chopper
1968After1.jpg

Here's my 1968 w/1994 EVO & sputh 4 speed / 5 speed conver trans, still legally titled a 1968 is it still a classic?
1968After.jpg

Back