free website stats program What was your first bike learning experience like | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What was your first bike learning experience like

I believe it was 1968 and the bike was a new Honda 70cc trail bike. I ate , slept and breathed that bike. My family had just moved to a new place and I hadn't met any friends yet so it was my whole world. I know I put more miles on the trail bike than I did on my last Harley.

well you guys are bringing back memories. yep had the honda 55 first (the one that looked like a girls peddle bike) spent a lot of time on that when i was 8-10. then just kept going up from there, had some nice dirt bikes (can-am 250 qualifier) couldn't keep the front tire down. then went to the street as soon as i could, got dad to co sign for a loan and bought a honda twin star (yep the blue one) then 2 months later when my father and mother were on a short holiday i traded it in for a Honda 400 hawk T1. 750 XS yamaha and up and up and up and now :D my RKP and my 98 FXSTC :D:D:D

as was said before...thanks pops love ya

I wonder what the odds are for two guys in two different places having the same two first and second bike are. I'm sure not real high but still. I did like that blue on the twinstar though and was very surprised I found bags, tote and fairing the same color.

I was 19 yrs old back in 1978. I knew a guy who had a modified '76 Triumph Bonniville 750 with only 1300 miles for only $1300. The bike had a King and Queen seat, trident bitch bar, 8" over front end. Never rode a bike in my life until I went to pick up the bike in Minneapolis to buy the bike. Rode her up and down the street a few time then headed to the freeway I-94 home to Saint Paul. I stopped for gas and the bike wouldn't start. So I pushed her home six blocks. Call the guy and he said sound like you need to pick up a shop manual. The next thing I know I was doing electrical work. Turns out British stuff uses Lucus. "Prince of darkness" This bike got me wrenching all the time, I learned lots of mechanical tricks over the years. What's weird is I still run into new problems I have never seen on any of my other bikes, in 34 years.

I wonder what the odds are for two guys in two different places having the same two first and second bike are. I'm sure not real high but still. I did like that blue on the twinstar though and was very surprised I found bags, tote and fairing the same color.

a girl past men on my twinstar so i needed a bigger big to catch up the next time, that was why i only had it 2 months

have a look at my RKP colors, look familiar?

Ditto. Except mine was a '65 305 dream. Got it in 1967 about six months before I turned 16. It didn't run, but somehow I figured out the ignition problems and away I went. Back then people didn't concern themselves too much with petty stuff like driver's licenses and legal age :)

The thing I remember most was the absolutely worse brakes I've ever experienced on a bike, car or big truck. A lesson that stays with me to this day. I ended up trading it and some cash for a "K" model.

I was 19 yrs old back in 1978. I knew a guy who had a modified '76 Triumph Bonniville 750 with only 1300 miles for only $1300. The bike had a King and Queen seat, trident bitch bar, 8" over front end. Never rode a bike in my life until I went to pick up the bike in Minneapolis to buy the bike. Rode her up and down the street a few time then headed to the freeway I-94 home to Saint Paul. I stopped for gas and the bike wouldn't start. So I pushed her home six blocks. Call the guy and he said sound like you need to pick up a shop manual. The next thing I know I was doing electrical work. Turns out British stuff uses Lucus. "Prince of darkness" This bike got me wrenching all the time, I learned lots of mechanical tricks over the years. What's weird is I still run into new problems I have never seen on any of my other bikes, in 34 years.

If $ was not problem I can say I would have a triumph bonny in my garage next to my Harley! I've never owned a Bonny but those bikes "speak to me" as much as HD does! Maybe someday I'll own one of those too!

Brand new Honda 90 in 1968 at 14 years old I thought I was it. Thing was it was the Cub I believe. The little front apron and the 3 speed automatic. But hey, I was riding. Went all over the county on that thing. Mine was solid white.

Attachments

• cub.jpeg
    cub.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 8
Back