free website stats program What should I do first to my Sportster? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

What should I do first to my Sportster?

What should I do first to my new Sportster XL883?

• Saddlebags

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Windshield

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • SE Mufflers

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 1200 Sporty , I just like the idea of when you light the wick, something happens. One of the best investments i made was a detachable windshield ( I live in Fla ) bugs!!!!! A real good investment is a set of rear shocks.... I went with Progressive with six adjustments. Makes a world of difference in handling and ride. They are not cheap. Another thing to consider is front fork springs... again Progressive. I have $600.00 saddle bags and they are not worth the money. Too small. I done the 1200 conversion...$ 2000.00 later and I can't outrun a Suzuki. Ask yourself, what am I going to use my bike for, practically all bikes are fun from 0 to 60 mph. Ride safe!!!

Last edited:
1st is congrats on your bike. Second Pipes are a good investment with re-jet for performance and I would say a windshield for safety. I had a bee hit me in the throat last week and if I had been going any faster could have caused a problem (my windshield was off, It is back on now). Not only bugs but small rocks that bounce up and hit you can be avoided with a shield...
My 2 cents...

PS.. Enjoy your ride... your 883 is a fine bike (room to grow with it)

After reading through this thread.
- I am 45 and have always wanted a HD
- When i got around to buying one, I bought what I could afford, (regardless of many people saying its a girls bike, though I have seen plenty of girls riding big harleys), and one that wasn't too big to learn to ride on. So the sporty was the choice, paid cash. 2006 XL883 with 43 miles, some chick bought it, dropped it, and it had been sitting around for 2 years.
- I plan on upgrading one day, but for now, I am loving this bike though have my eyes on the rocker-C.
- purchased upgrades in this order since buying the bike in April.
- May - detachable windshield, passenger foot pegs, 2-up seat, to give wife and kids rides, windshield - for night time buggy riding, as well as some wind deflection
- July - riding essentials, detachable, sissy-bar, passenger back, etc, so my wife and kids feel more comfortable on the back.
- Dec - V&H straight-shot slip ons. flame motif, derby cover, fuel cap, timer cover, flame heat shields. The big factor here was I had been eyeing the flame heat shields for some time. low and behold, one day I hear this rattling. turns out its the clamp for one of the heatshields broke, so after I removed it, I said its a sign. hadn't bought the slip-ons just yet, but the Roswell HD was giving away this vintage set of harleys in pewter framed with a $350 purchase, so that made that decision easy.
- The next thing will be the rejet and new air cleaner, as you might have seen in my first posts.
- the V&H slip-ons are nice and loud.
- Have thought about the 1200 conversion, which of course will maintain the cheaper insurance. :)

anyway, thats my story and i'm sticking too it. :p

I thought "we" had killed all the threads from our buddy Dave - yet this one lives on!!

Well, Answer him again Doc, and we'll all point fingers and snicker at ya!!!!
We havn't had a good laugh yet today.:tounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back