free website stats program What should I do first to my Sportster? | Harley Davidson Forums

What should I do first to my Sportster?

What should I do first to my new Sportster XL883?

• Saddlebags

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Windshield

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • SE Mufflers

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
I have a new XL883. I have some things I want to do to it, but can only afford to do one thing at a time. So, do you think I should install a windshield, get saddlebags, or install Screamin Eagle mufflers first?

I would say windshield .. sure makes highway riding a lot nicer then saddle bags to fit all the stuff in ..

I'm with Angel on that, just ride it. Then prioritize, I went for a wind sheild first over saddle bags. I can always work with a back pack. :D But when you get off the bike & see all the bugs on the wind shield instead of on you, you'll be glad you have it. Not to mention how much longer you can ride when you don't have to fight the wind all day. Enjoy!

How about just ride it some till you decide what you need and in which order?

That is how I approached my new sporty. I haven't done any highway travel yet, primarily because I feel like I would want a windhshield. I've been on major roads where I've been at 55mph, and due to the wind, I definitely feel I need to tighten my grip when going at that speed. So for me, a windshield seems like a practical purchase. However, I didn't feel compelled to buy a whole bunch of accessories upon purhchae of the bike, given I am new to riding, and really had no idea what I would want. Plus, I think having a stock sporty is boss!

ride safe
Drew

mine came with a windshield when I bought it... first thing I did when I got it home (before I even went into the house) was break out the craftsman and remove it. I think the Sporty is soooo unique and attractive with its stock profile. So yep.. I removed the windshield and no way shape or form would I add saddlebags. Once adding those your sporty pretty much looks like *insert name of any metric motorcycle* imho. But then again... thats up to personal preference. I vote for looks over functionality... and I love the stock sporty looks (with uber harley tax add ons of course). I also go for uncluttered and LUV the wind in my face.

My vote would be roll with the pipes! The get you some of the smaller, affordable add ons (grips\pegs\caliper medallions), then a 2up seat (that doesn't break the sporty profile... I got a sidekick... more affordable add ons... then a tach kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back