free website stats program What RPM should i be riding at in each gear without lugging the engine. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What RPM should i be riding at in each gear without lugging the engine.

I just listen to engine and feel the vibes. Sometimes I find I'm doing 45mph in 6th gear.

45 mph in 6th gear can't be good for the motor. Even 5th gear at 45 mph is still lugging. You should be at least 65 mph, if not 70 before kicking it into 6th gear. Hope you bought the ESP :D
But like several on here have said in the past..... "Your ride, you decide".

Good question. I too am like you and also have same bike - 2013 FLSTC. It's not like anything I've had before. I've not paid much attention to what speed I change gear at, I just listen to engine and feel the vibes. Sometimes I find I'm doing 45mph in 6th gear. This bike pulls in any gear but I try to change up quickly to keep below 2000-2500rpm so that the ride is nice and smooth.

When I go over 2500 the vibes start getting bad and I can't see anything in mirrors. At 70-80mph in 6th gear the vibes are so bad it will rattle bolts loose! Dealer said thats why they put thread-lock on the bolts! There's no rubber mounts, so I assume that's correct. One thing I have a problem with is downshifting, sometimes it just sticks in 3rd or 4th gear and refuses to shift down. I think it will all get better with age and with more miles on the clock.
Poor response from your "dealer".

Keep bringing it in to document your problems.
Bike shouldn't be that shake-prone and shifting should be smooth.

Your "getting better with age" isn't the way the bike gets broken in.
Should be good from day one.

If you want a cheap thrill, try 4,000 rpm in 6th gear. WOW!!!!! No lugging here. Just don't get pulled over :p

Good question. I too am like you and also have same bike - 2013 FLSTC. It's not like anything I've had before. I've not paid much attention to what speed I change gear at, I just listen to engine and feel the vibes. Sometimes I find I'm doing 45mph in 6th gear. This bike pulls in any gear but I try to change up quickly to keep below 2000-2500rpm so that the ride is nice and smooth.

When I go over 2500 the vibes start getting bad and I can't see anything in mirrors. At 70-80mph in 6th gear the vibes are so bad it will rattle bolts loose! Dealer said thats why they put thread-lock on the bolts! There's no rubber mounts, so I assume that's correct. One thing I have a problem with is downshifting, sometimes it just sticks in 3rd or 4th gear and refuses to shift down. I think it will all get better with age and with more miles on the clock.

45 in 6th is lugging the engine badly. Just because it pulls, doesn't mean it is not lugging. Your bike does not have rubber mounts because it has internal counterbalancers. The Softail line is as smooth as the rubber mount bikes up to illegal speeds. You should be able to read license plates in your mirror at 80 mph. The dealer does not sound like a good one.

Thanks for replies guys. Dealer said up to 45-50mph heritage should ride quite smooth due to counterbalance, after 50mph road king with its rubber mounted engine is the way to go. I don't mind the vibration though, before buying this bike everyone always told me Harley's vibrate like crazy, so I was prepared for it and assumed it was normal. At least it's not high frequency buzzing like on Jap bikes which makes hands go numb.

At 80mph forget reading a license plate, I can't even make out if its a car, a truck or whatever behind me! Btw, clutch was adjusted 3 weeks ago when bike was serviced. I don't have extended warranty or service plan, dealer didn't offer it.

I just love this bike though, why didn't I buy a harley sooner! I shall adjust my technique and see what the difference is.

As Jack said your ride you decide but this forum is here to help people.
That being said I think you'll do damage running 45 mph in 6th gear.
Try shifting when over 3000 rpm and running in the mid 2000's.

Thanks for replies guys. Dealer said up to 45-50mph heritage should ride quite smooth due to counterbalance, after 50mph road king with its rubber mounted engine is the way to go. I don't mind the vibration though, before buying this bike everyone always told me Harley's vibrate like crazy, so I was prepared for it and assumed it was normal. At least it's not high frequency buzzing like on Jap bikes which makes hands go numb.

At 80mph forget reading a license plate, I can't even make out if its a car, a truck or whatever behind me! Btw, clutch was adjusted 3 weeks ago when bike was serviced. I don't have extended warranty or service plan, dealer didn't offer it.

I just love this bike though, why didn't I buy a harley sooner! I shall adjust my technique and see what the difference is.
I don't know how the warranty works across the pond, here in the states a new bike has a bumper to bumper 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, you can opt for extended warranty in that 2 years

SOME ADVICE:

WHERE I Don't take Their (HD) Advice:

Where and When you shift these bikes...

I NEVER use their Sin3 oil.

I always use THREE different lubes IN Each of the 3 different holes.
Not one oil for all three holes.

Suggested that I use:

Engine; 20/50 synthetic (redline)
Primary; MTL (redline)
GEAR Oil in the tranny (shockProof Heavy by Redline).

Then there is their FAMOUS statement... Don't worry "They ALL Do IT":55:

NO,,,,,They ALL Don't do it.

signed....BUBBIE

:s Number 1 on what Bubbie said, you can take his advice to the bank:D

SOME ADVICE:

WHERE I Don't take Their (HD) Advice:

Where and When you shift these bikes...

I NEVER use their Sin3 oil.

I always use THREE different lubes IN Each of the 3 different holes.
Not one oil for all three holes.

Suggested that I use:

Engine; 20/50 synthetic (redline)
Primary; MTL (redline)
GEAR Oil in the tranny (shockProof Heavy by Redline).

Then there is their FAMOUS statement... Don't worry "They ALL Do IT":55:

NO,,,,,They ALL Don't do it.

signed....BUBBIE

That is what I am using on my RKC and I LOVE IT! AWESOME!!!

Back