free website stats program What RPM Should I Be Cruising At? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What RPM Should I Be Cruising At?

Assuming there have been no primary or secondary gearing changes, 60-65mph with the five speed should be spinning the motor around 2500-2700 rpms. Something doesn't sound right if your motor is spinning at 2800-3000 rpms; at 3000 rpms, the speedo should be showing about 72 mph; again, that is assuming primary and secondary gearing is stock and tire size is stock.

Personally, I consider anything under 2500 rpms "lugging". The H-D Vtwin motor likes to spin and will run 80-85 mph all day long. Some have issues with the motor rpms at that speed but I have never understood why. But, I am one of those that has never seen the need for a sixth gear; I like my motor spinning.

The only way you can verify that primary and secondary gearing is stock would be to pull the outer primary and count teeth and count teeth on the trans and wheel pulley. If those are 25/36 and 32/70 respectively and your rear tire is approximately 26" in diameter; your tach is off or your speed sensor may be malfunctioning.

"Accelerating through the gears is no problem, but being in 4th gear @ 2800-3000 RPM's gives me 60-65 MPH's. This seems (slightly) sluggish at times, but O.K. most times."

The above comment doesn't make any sense. At that rpm level in that gear, the motor should be spooling up to a shift point. A heavy bike like an Ultra Classic with a stock 88" motor is going to feel sluggish if you don't keep that motor spinning. I don't have the answer but the tach could be off or the speed sensor malfunctioning but something is inconsistent with your speed and corresponding motor rpms.:bigsmiley25:

Back