free website stats program What is that noise?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is that noise??

I did not catch the 40 mph in 5th gear part of the post. Think you guys are onto something with the compensator being the culprit especially with the noise going away with the clutch pulled in.

I would change the primary oil and adjust the clutch :s

I think/hope that is part of the 1000 mile maintenance that the dealer will do within a week. I had thought about doing that, but I don't have a service manual for this bike. I only have one for my FLHT. It is probably the same procedure, but this bike is a lot different from the FLHT.

Uh, 40 in 5th?
I have the same SE compensator on my FXSTC as your 2011, if I chug my bike down to 40 in 5th, I think that's down around 1700 rpm, the compensator knocks.
50 or better in 5th.
Check your little manual for preferred shift points in mph.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I took your advice and checked my little manual. On downshifts, the preferred shift speed is 40 when going from 5th to 4th. I'm thinking that coasting along (not accelerating or decelerating) at 40 in 5th is definitely on the low side, but in the range. Also, there is undoubtedly a little "plus or minus" in these suggested shift points.

You might be onto something on the compensator thing. I'll check that out with the dealer this week. My FLHT never makes this sound, but it probably has a different set-up.

Thanks,

Mike in WV

Got to agree with dangerdan, take it back to the dealer and have them fix it, under warranty...right?

5th at 40 sounds a bit on the low side (lugging). What happens if you shift down a gear at the same speed as far as the noise?

glider also has a method to Help tighten a primary chain IF LOOSe and it won't self adjust as it should do on it's own.. I had to use his method on my new 09 when I first bought it Off the show room floor..After "Using the Method" chain tightened, it has not been a problem since.. I think it was stuck from install and never tightened like it should of from the begining.......Hmmmmm Like yours?

Keeping the bike running above that MPH is also like glider said, Maybe the problem....

These bikes are not made to Lug.. sound good but not good.:D

Look in the self help area or a nice member will post a link:)

signed....BUBBIE

Back