free website stats program What is a good bike for a beginner? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a good bike for a beginner?

Get the bike you think is what you will always want to ride the first time. My wife has never riden a bike until she took a riders course. She is only 5' tall and after completeing the course she decided to get a Fat Boy which I thought would be too much bike for her. 6000 miles later we are glad she purchased the larger bike that she always wanted. The key is to take a training course first, which will be a smaller bike and then find a bike that you can at least touch the ground on. My wife can barely plant her feet flat on the ground with the Fat Boy but rides it like a pro.

Great stories - all real interesting and I could see myself in a few.

The part about your bike finding you is what tweeked me. I've been riding for about 5 years now and I'm in my 'early' fifties. First bought a Honda VLX 600 and loved the feel of the cornering, but hated the lack of real power and the jolts from the monoshock (I've got a Babies Brain and and old Man's back - thanks Alice!).

Went through several bikes after that. Mostly Hondas and one Suzi. Let's see - Nighthawk 750s, CB900Custom, Magna v30 and v45, and a Suzi GL1000. These were all great bikes (except the Suzi, but that was just neglected), but none of them had the 'spirit' I wanted. Frankly, they all became boring unless I was going fast.

Last May, my cousin Glenn - who really introduced me to bikes - passed away suddenly. Fifty years old and never woke up one morning. We used to ride together and abused each other constantly - mainly the Harley/Honda hazing. Great fun, but I really liked his '02 Wide Glide. He absolutely loved it.

Long story short, Glenn's bike is in my shed now. I never knew I wanted a Harley but, my God, this thing is a dream. Funny, I don't ride it hard and don't feel the need to. It's alway just right there, willing and burbling. Of course, the sentimental attachment doesn't hurt.

And everytime I ride, I see my priviledge through his eyes. We are so lucky to enjoy the priviledge.

Ride on Glenn.

My first and only bike is a heritage softail I thought it was going to be a little big for my first bike but once I got use to it I could not imagine me on any thing smaller. I rode my mother in laws suzuki 450 to practice on to take my test and it was actually alot harder to ride and seemed so hard to steer.

Back