free website stats program What is a decent flat repair kit to buy? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a decent flat repair kit to buy?

Is there any repair kit for "tube" tires?. I have spoke wheels and running tubes.

Steve's inflate and go is the best thing for road side fix for tube tires, and as Glider says, once home you can pull wheel and have the tube replaced, rather than bother with a patch kit, abrading and vulcanizing cement, what a mess... :small3d015:

I agree with Steve on the plugged tires. If in the cage and one goes flat again, it's just an annoyance, if it goes flat on the scoot at highway speeds, it can be both expensive and painful. My life and the wife's are worth more than the tires cost to replace one. However, using a plug to get to a shop to replace the tire would be ok, I'd just be sure to keep my speed down and stay off the interstate.

Bubba

What if any problems are there with the rim when using the "fix a flat" type of repair?

Well there you go...IF you have a flat, you should find out what caused it, if tubeless tire, usually a puncture from errant nail or thorn...hopefully the bead is still seated on rim and depending on the situation, you try to get it to the "lowest" part, pull it out, put the Inflate and Go stuff in, until you see some of the goo come out the puncture. Let it cure for a few minutes and continue inflating. The liquid rubber goo congeals and seals the leak. Take it easy on the flat fixed tire.

On tube tire there is always the possible spoke thread puncturing the inner tube, but usually it will be a puncture also easily seen, and you will do a similar check to make sure what it was, remove it, make sure it is at the lowest point and use the Inflate and Go stuff if possible. Obviously a tube blow out may be too severe a hole to repair, so towing may be your only option.

Last edited:
I carry a normal tire plug kit with the rope type plugs,round rasp type file that came with it and a pair of needle nose plyers.I also carry one of those 12 volt mini air compressors.This is my emergency tire repair that will get me home at that point I could remove the tire and make an assesment as to patch the inside or buy a new one.

Well there you go...IF you have a flat, you should find out what caused it, if tubeless tire, usually a puncture from errant nail or thorn...hopefully the bead is still seatedm and depending on the situation, you try to get it to the "lowest" part, pull it out, put the Inflate and Go stuff in, until you see some of the goo come out the puncture. Let it cure for a few minutes and continue inflating. The liquid rubber goo congeals and seals the leak. Take it easy on the flat fixed tire.

On tube tire there is always the possible spoke thread puncturing the inner tube, but usually it will be a puncture also easily seen, and you will do a similar check to make sure what it was, remove it, make sure it is at the lowest point and use the Inflate and Go stuff if possible. Obviously a tube blow out may be too severe a hole to repair, so towing may be your only option.

I guess I was not clear with my question.
Would there be any damage to the rim (chemically, cleaning inside before tire replacement, etc) if one were to use these products?
I guess if you are out ridding and get a flat, using these products would get you home or to the shop for repairs, but if it damages the rim and cost's several hundred dollars more, is it worth it in every situation?
just wondering. :)

Yeah, imagine uncured rubber is kinda like real stringy cheese or wet rubber cement...once dried rubber cement cures and sticks pretty good...cleaning it up is rather messy business...

Back