free website stats program What Great Friends... | Harley Davidson Forums

What Great Friends...

HarryB737

Well yesterday morning my wife & I decided to go on a morning ride before the heat set in. We rode some of our favorite routes and were having so much fun we headed up to a local lake (Lake Norman), about an hour away from home. It was getting close to lunch time and the heat was building, so we were just about to head home, but decided to grab a sandwich before doing so. Pulled into a Jimmie Johns sub shop...when it happened.... pulled in the clutch and the handle stayed in the pulled in position. NO Clutch, NO Gears... and it was getting hot outside. After studying the situation, I realized there was no getting the bike back home under it's own power. So, I called one of my best friends that we ride with, explained the problem, and without hesitation he said where are you I'll be right there with the trailer... "Mighty Mouse" is on the way :D What a Great Friend ! While we were waiting I called another good friend "Glider" who gave me a good idea as to what the problem was. A broken clutch cable on the lower end. Since my bike still has a months warranty left it's off to the dealership this morning for the repair. The people at the resturant let us stay in the A/C while we were waiting, and were very nice to us. So what could have been a very aggravating day turned out to be another good "Harley" adventure thanks to Good Friends... and the Blessings of God.

Harry

Glad you got home OK. I just hope the problem is just the cable and not something bigger.

All's well that ends well. :D

Good thing that it is still a warranty issue, just hope parts are available for a quick repair.
Ken

Is it not interesting at the curves life can throw at you. Glad to hear all worked out for you. Just another great story to add to the file.

Amen to the "great friends" comment. Cherish them as they are usually few and far between.

It is great to have good friends that will drop their plans to be of assistance in your hour of need
In my younger day i rode a 75 triumph it was pretty normal to have a spare clutch cable taped on to the in use clutch cable for a quick swap when it snapped and usually did about once a year
Now i carry a spare set of control cables in my saddlebag i have not needed them but if i do they are there

Brian

Glad to hear that you did not get stranded. It is good to have friends like that. It's even better to have friends like that who also have motorcycle trailers :D

Follow-up:
Lesson for today... Be sure to tighten securely the jamb nut behind the derby cover when you do your "Clutch Adjustment" mine came loose after 3000+ miles since I adjusted the clutch last. My Error: :bigsmiley25:

Back