free website stats program What Engine Should I upgrade too | Harley Davidson Forums

What Engine Should I upgrade too

IR Rick

I have the 2009 UC, I was thinking trading in on a new COV UC,
but it's about $20,000 spread.
I what a good lond dist engine with 110 hp and around 120tq
I also pull a Aspen camping trailer about 500lbs

Should go with S&S, or Jim's SE built? OR What do you think is the best for the coin:newsmile093:
thanks for the help

OK, here comes the poor NC boy again. (I try to keep him quiet but he doesn't listen well). I would think that you can bump your 96ci to 103ci or 110ci including head work and all for a lot less than 20k. I may be wrong on that cause I've never done it or seen the bill on one but I sure would think it could be done. I know the factory 103ci isn't all it could be due to restrictive head flow. Combination of meeting EPA and allowing HD to upsell. I think if I were just gonna buy one I will side with Hobbit and get the SE 110.

It all depends on how deep your pocket is. 103 kit w/ good cams can produce 110 TQ. Headwork with MATCHED cams can produce 120 TQ.

If $$ is no issue, go with the 131 and be done with it.

So: if I take my 96 build it up to a 103" or 107 will it be a dependable engine
for cross county ridding, I hear after you rebuild one you end up with Oil leaks and not a very dependable motor, I was looking at the 110" SE but if it's the 2008 block, it sounds like there are issue with it. I have not check into the Jim’s engine but if I get that for less then $10k installed, that should be beater then the CVO, at a $17k difference on a trade in :newsmile093:
The CVO Club will have to do with out me:s

I would definitely go for the 131'' Jims, I've put one in a 08 FLHX and it has over 20,000 trouble free miles on it, it would definitely break you're 110/120 requirements. You can also check them out in the S/E catalog on-line.

View attachment 5932

Handsome motors you got there Chopper

So: if I take my 96 build it up to a 103" or 107 will it be a dependable engine
for cross county ridding, I hear after you rebuild one you end up with Oil leaks and not a very dependable motor, I was looking at the 110" SE but if it's the 2008 block, it sounds like there are issue with it. I have not check into the Jim’s engine but if I get that for less then $10k installed, that should be beater then the CVO, at a $17k difference on a trade in :newsmile093:
The CVO Club will have to do with out me:s
The trick with making the Jims 131'' cost effective is selling the motor you have. The job I did for the FLHX cost was around $6.000.00 after he sold his new engine on ebay. The engine comes complete ready to bolt in, the only thing I recommend is upgrading to the 58 mm EFI throttle body with it. One thing I don't like about building up a stock engine too much, especially with aftermarket performance parts is things like the weight of the pistons, the strength & material thickness of the cases, flywheels are balanced for the stock pistons and once you change that weight you throw the balance off, now you have a race engine not a smooth running touring engine anymore. The price of performance is more then just dollar and cents.

Back