free website stats program What does H.D. do in Milwaukee now? | Harley Davidson Forums

What does H.D. do in Milwaukee now?

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
Another thread was discussing VIN decoding, and as I got perusing mine, one thing led to another. Something I noticed was the assembly plant codes. From what I was able to gather;
T = Tomahawk, WI. Make gas tanks, fiberglass and plastic
K = Kansas. Assemble XL, Dynas and Vrods
Y = York, PA. Assemble Touring, Softails and CVO's.
J = Milwaukee. ??
I did several searches and came up with nothing for Milwaukee (or did I see Buell with a J?). Is it just corporate hq now, or do they mfg. and assemble something there? :newsmile031:

Wauwatosa, WIS (just outside of Milwaukee)

Powertrain Operations.

Got a tour last spring from Jeff Pherris, dude that helped design the TC engine. Awesome tour!

Have been on the tour in Kansas City since the factory is only about 15 minutes away.
They also build Sportsters and make gas tanks, etc. They have a paint shop and do paint for a lot of the big twins. Met a painter from there and when I told him what I rode
he told me he probably painted my tank. He told me about how tough the "diamond ice" (silver) was to get right. It's great to have a plant here, we get the demo fleet at the open house every year.

In Milwakee they make a whole lot of money selling T-shirts and other 'trinkets' as well as admission to the HD museum.

I believe they do the Remanufacture program there. I'm a candidate with 81000 miles and 25 years on my bike. One of these days I'm gonna send it in.

Back