free website stats program What Cams | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What Cams

Going to upgrade my 04 E/G to S/E hydraulic cam chain tensioners. So i figure why not put better cams in. Only mods are Big Sucker, thunderheader and Dobeck efi with only 14,000 miles on it. Looking for a little better performance. You guys have been very informative and helpful so far, i figured this is the best place to start.

IIRC, until the introduction of beehive springs in the '05 model year, total lift is limited to .510"" in the earlier models before coil bind. So, cams like the Andrews 48, SE255, Fueling 525 will not work unless the spring issue is addressed. Additionally, the early heads pretty much flat line before .500" lift is achieved, so even if the springs would accommodate more lift, any gain at max lift would be marginal.

JMHO but I would stick with the SE 25284-11 "hybrid" kit and a set of conversion cams as opposed to the Fueling setup.

As has been mentioned, the Andrews 21N and 26N are good choices and I would throw in the S&S 509 as well. Even the SE203 or 204 are good cam choices for a cam only upgrade. Most tend to "over cam' a motor, so take a breath, bigger is not better when it comes to cams in a 88"er.

Upgrade the inner cam bearings while you are at it; Torrington/Timken B-148s are the full compliment replacement for the OEM INA bearings.

dolt,

From a couple of head porters today on the same question: saying that the 99-04 heads using the Double Springs would take 525 with no problems...
They measured STOCK heads properly: saying 525 would be safe with enough room before it hit the seals, but 550 was too close for comfort...

I do trust the Porters saying this... But Builder beware...

BUT think about over revving and Valve Float Might do the Evil trick.:shock

I'd still think like you and prefer not over 510's most without measuring...

The 509's are a great cam for low end torque. Have a friend doing Gear 509's in his 03 King LOVES them... (NO coil Bind there for sure)

Just adding some information I learned today...

signed....BUBBIE

ADDED: Good advice offered in your post dolt... without head work, added Lift, 525, is not going to do anything...

Back