free website stats program Wet/Dry Primary? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet/Dry Primary?

Rich2010

I have a question and would like some help from ya’ll understanding something if you would. I have a 2010 Fatboy FLSTF and I was looking in the service manual under “CHANGING PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT”. The manual calls out for the lube capacity for the primary of either 32 oz “wet” or 40 oz “dry”. What is the difference in wet or dry?
Thanks Rich

Rich, when you drain the primary, some of the lubricant remains in the case, hence it's "wet"... If you should disassemble the case for whatever reason, it would be considered "dry" and require a bit more lubricant to refill.

To expand a bit on the above post, wet is being in service previously with oil installed and dry are new components.

Rich, when you drain the primary, some of the lubricant remains in the case, hence it's "wet"... If you should disassemble the case for whatever reason, it would be considered "dry" and require a bit more lubricant to refill.

To expand a bit on the above post, wet is being in service previously with oil installed and dry are new components.

well there it is... i am learning stuff again :D

Back