free website stats program Well I finally dropped it | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Well I finally dropped it

The guy I was riding with yesterday dropped his Fatboy moving it in the parking lot. I have certainly done it in the past, but if I drop it now I am in Big Trouble..

Must have been a bad weekend. I dropped my SG. Stopped on steep hill for a car. Went to make my left turn, did not have enough speed for the steep incline and it just tipped right over on the left side. I was still wiping tears when I made it to our rented cabin.

I but crash bars on my bike the first week I had it because one of the parts guys told it would really protect the bike when I dropped it. I told him that hopefully i would never drop it. His reply was that everyone drops them; it's just a matter time. So I put them on. An hour later as I was came to a stop sign on a incline in right turn lane, front wheel not straight, to much front brake, down it went. only damage was a small scratch on bottom curve of crash bar. Dropped it Three more times within the first year. More than Two and a half years since the last drop. Crash bars were a very good investment.

Well now I feel better at having dropped mine knowing that others have done the same. The engine guards took the hit so no real damage to the bike. Now that I have lowered the bike front and rear I'm much more confident I can prevent a repeat. The coolest thing I noticed is that the bike doesn't go over all that far, seems about 50 degrees or so.

Sure glad no one was hurt!! Ive dropped mine too. Well, crashed actually. My brother makes fun of me all the time because of it but hey, Im alive.

My last bike was a 06 Ultra, very nice bike but I suffer from a bad back and short legs. Not a good combination, but I'm stubborn, and my ego was still
25, much taller, and quite a bit more healthy. So I found out that it is very important to pick your landing points if at all possible. It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling when my feet touch the ground when I wanted them to. I loved the crash bars, and only had to test them 3 times, (only minor boo boo's)
Of course last August in Gettysburg PA, On a backroad I came around a turn at 35mph into a herd of freaked out deer. Well I missed every deer, but while motor-crossing on my Ultra I caught a large rock which helped me change directions rather rapidly right into the tree lined ditch. Quick stop, and as I passed thru the windshield I remembered "tuck and roll"! That concept would have worked but with my prior ailments I rolled like a flat tire!

This time my Helicopter ride was not as a working member. After a brief vacation at Hershey Shock Ctr, and a little rest, I started planning my next ride. Now I have a 09 SG which is lighter, and closer to the ground. The only hassle I got from anyone was my wife, she made me promise that before I swing my leg, I strap on the hat, and get better life insurance!

I'm glad you weren't hurt, and more glad that you got back on with better experience and knowledge. I know I get the creepy's when I come around blind turns when I'm out in the country, but I still go aound them! Keep riding!

I dropped mine on both sides in the year I have had it. Both times at a stop. First time on a hill attempting to pull out, not enough gas, stalled it, kerplunk on the right side. 4 months later pulled up to a stop light, put my foot down perfectly on a little round stick, foot went out from underneath me, kerplunk on the left side. Wife was on the back both times. No one hurt, a few scratches on the lowers, gotta lay on the floor to see em. Just glad both times were stopped. Like they say, there are those that have, and those that will, and those that lie about it.
I have an issue with parking lots too. They are not my best-friend - but getting better. I've dropped my Deluxe twice since I got her in January. Interestingly, I saw a survey on WRN (Women Riders Now) and it showed that only 60% of those that responded had ever dropped their bike. So, the other 40% are liars or don't ride.

Glad everyone was OK. That's what's important.

Dropped my Wing a couple of times while learning to ride it. Thought I had everything figured out until the first time my wife was a passenger. We were going up a slopping driveway and made a slow left turn into a parking space. I didn't get the wheel straightened out as we came to a stop and down we went. No one injured and no damage. However, lesson learned. Haven't dropped the Road Glide yet, but have come close a few times. There will always be that unanticipated situation or circumstance. The key is to keep riding and learning.

Did the same thing on my ultra classic last week with the wife. Made a left turn into an uphill parking space and didn't get wheel straightned up before I stopped. I teetered on the edge for what seemed like 10 seconds before laying it over on the left side. No one was hurt but it sure bruises your pride don't it. :bigsmiley24:

Back