free website stats program Week's Ride around the Southwest | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Week's Ride around the Southwest

Silver..........once again, incredible trip. Did you commander II's perform up to all your expectations?

Sunnyside,

Don't have the Commander II. Have the HD Super Tuner 32109-08B and HD dyno tuned to 13:1 air:fuel ratio. Engine mods are S&S 510 cams and new lifters, HD quiet slip on mufflers 80678-08, and HD SE air cleaner 29773-02C. Also have new cam tensioners as the indie had a bunch on the shelf from earlier cam gear conversions.

Only issue from this was low fuel mileage, sometimes in the low 30s. Cured with a new battery as the old one was OK on the voltage but showed only 110 cca from the listed 295 cca. Mileage now runs from high 30s in exclusively city driving, low to mid 40s at freeway and interstate speeds, and high 40s to low 50s on two laners with the speed kept reasonable.

The Harlot, as the wife calls her, has a bit of front cylinder exhaust valve train noise; the lifter was in spec although close to being out when checked roughly 16k miles ago. Also get some pre-ignition rattling when driven in our Arizona heat, 105° and over. Compression always tests around 185 lbs each. Fluids and filter changed on HD specs.

So to answer your question, no problems on the trip and I'm comfortable taking the bike anywhere at any time.

Silver

Silver..........once again, incredible trip. Did you commander II's perform up to all your expectations?
Sunnyside,

Just reread your question and realized I misread it the first time. Sorry, here is my opinion on the Michelin Commander II tires.

They are great. Better traction when leaned over, traction feels more linear regardless of the bike's orientation. A bit less straight ahead tracking but that's OK, keeps me paying attention a bit more. Traction was fine when the road was wet. We watched where we rode as we expected some ice on the pass. Traction not so great on graded or gravel roads.

No measurable wear once home. Anticipate at least 20k miles on the rear and more on the front, the rear stock Dunlops were good for 10k +/-.

Perhaps a slightly stiffer ride, noticed this right after the changeout but couldn't tell now. Overall the ride feels fine. I do run Progressive 412 shocks and fork springs and the Sundowner seat has been reshaped.

Silver

Not a problem, always enjoy reading about your bike and trips. Hopefully by fall I will have my bike and business set up where I can set out and go on longer rides. The Progressive 412's were they a good move? I have a stock sundowner but it's not a perfect fit for me, moved me too forward for mid's. May be good when I install a highway bar or pegs.

Not a problem, always enjoy reading about your bike and trips. Hopefully by fall I will have my bike and business set up where I can set out and go on longer rides. The Progressive 412's were they a good move? I have a stock sundowner but it's not a perfect fit for me, moved me too forward for mid's. May be good when I install a highway bar or pegs.

Like the Progressive 412s a lot. Had them on my previous two bikes, a Honda VT1100 Shadow and a VTX 1300, for roughly 105k miles. The VT1100's previous owner weighted in at 350 and they rode double, and the shock worked fine for them. I adjusted them for my weight and had no troubles.

The advantage to me is not so much the ride comfort, which is good, but the ability to ride further in a day. I prefer to stop when she needs fuel rather than for bodily relief.

Had the HD adjustable forward pegs 49002-98 mounted when the bike still had the mid controls. They worked well for me and with the four adjustment positions I found what felt the best. 29" inseam so used the closer in position but they could be out quite a bit further. No longer using them so if you're interested we might work something out.

Back