free website stats program Water in oil or air filter? | Harley Davidson Forums

Water in oil or air filter?

kyles89fxlr

washed my 89 fxlr HD the other day and soon after drying went for a ride. 5 minutes later my bike started to bog out and die. started back up but was spuddering out soon after putting it into first gear. I let it sit a while and eventually made it home but continued to do the same the 6 miles back to my house. did I get water in my oil or air filter? what should I do?

If you take out the air filter do you see any water in it? Is the air filter stock? You might also what to check the gas, and see if any water might of got in the gas tank. Its a long shop but you never know.

:ws There are many possibilities. Washing may be the cause, or may be coincidental. Water in your oil is not likely, but pull your dipstick or oil cap and see if the oil looks like coffee with cream. If it's black, no water in it. Air filter is a possibility, pull it off and see how bike runs without it. Water in gas is more my guess. If your carb has a float drain (look between the cylinders from the LEFT side, there will be a screw head at the bottom, with a hose below it) try draining the bowl. If no drain, remove bowl and check for water blob in bottom.
Also possible that you got some water in your Run/Off handlebar switch, plug wire at coil or plug, ignition switch, etc. causing it to miss. Maybe it will just dry out and run. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Bikes are made to drive in wet conditions so I'm with breeze3at on this one. Air filters get wet and any water in the oil will evaporate as it warms up unless something really crazy happened. My time would be spent looking at electrical connections etc. as mentioned above. High tension leads-battery ground-connections-switches.

Pull your plug wires off and clean the ends apply some dilectric grease, check for cracks around the coil, spray some water mist on it with the bike running see if it stumbles

Back