free website stats program Was there ever a faster stock bike? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Was there ever a faster stock bike?

had a 72 model 500 .shaved the heads put 302 ford coils in it and a little gearing with new chain and sprokets and expansion chambers and velosity stacks . bottom line 1st - 5th on the back wheel at 10.12 and 134 through 1/4. i still miss the ole girl

The VR1000 actually did win @ BIR but was disqualified then the crank broke and fuel problems and coolant leaks it never recovered very good even with Duhamel piloting it he went back to team Honda i believe

True. But disqualified, is disqualified. So it wasn't a win. While it may matters whom crosses the line first, if you don't do it legally it makes no difference. I have heard much of the behind the scenes stuff because of a family connection to the team. There were those looking to get the bike on the podium and those looking at the money situation and just shrugged their shoulders. Development track time was not restricted, but the team did not spend much time trying to improve the bike. Look at the way the bike was faired. All the other manufactures ran full fairing, HD had a half fairing. Not much wind tunnel testing was done.

But, it was good to see them on the track. In the stands it was weird.... Some HD fans, like me, were cheering the on. Other people were there to see them fall. I talked to a few folks hoping they would fail, and there reasoning was if HD won races, they would start producing crotch rockets. And if they started making those type of bikes, it would change the type of people that would riding HDs. These folks were typically the "I ride a Harley, you don't, so shut-up" folks. They didn't care about HD's racing history.

While the Far East manufactures made some great bikes, I have a thing for anything Italian. Ducati, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi. Ducati did a lot to move the superbike forward, they did not have a big following back in the day. The KZ 900 would have been my choice for the best of the era. I had a couple chances to pick one up, but never did. I rode one a friend had. Very fast, but you had to respect the power and acceleration or bad things could happen. I saw a friend wheelie in third gear and lose it when the bike came over on him.

Man, that video of seventies super bikes was great!
All I saw was bikes I've ridden, (albeit a long time ago), 3 that I owned back in the distant past and then it closed with the magnificent CBX which I'm fortunate enough and blessed to own.

Thank you for putting that up to remind some of us that once life was fun.

My 1972 750 kawasaki was done at 20,000 miles. But what a lot of fun.
I bought the z1 900 next but never pumped up the adrenalin like the 750 did.
I think there's another kawasaki reportedly super charged with 200 hp for the street and something rediculous like 300 hp? for the track. I would like to see that go. I think they refer to it as an h2 as well.

Back