free website stats program Warranty question | Harley Davidson Forums

Warranty question

cromwell

OK so I bought an 09 Sportster in Sep and noticed that all the spokes on the front rim are rusted and I have a loud howl with applying the front brake to stop. The howl usually happens when slowing down and gets louder at the 15 mph till I stop. Now my question is can I get the front wheel repaced because of the rust. I did not see anything in the owners manual about it.

Thanks

Tony

My guess is you have a bit of a fight on your hand. While the spokes should not be rusted on a new bike, your relationship with the dealer will probably the the ultimate determining factor in how effective you are in getting the wheel replaced. The brake thing does seem odd, I would get that looked at and soon. Brake failures tend to happen at really inoppotune moments. Given both of these things exist could be a corrision issue overall with the front end (Caliper hanging or pistons in brake not working correctly. Get in and start talking to the dealer.

Depending on the dealer you have close by, they might just warranty the wheel. It all depends on how busy their work load is. I've noticed that when my dealer is slow, they'll fudge some stuff just to be able to bill time. It also depends on the service writer or service manager. I know mine drink beer. WINK WINK.

If you where riding it threw salt water contantly and not washing it down immediately afterwards then you caused the damage and you should man up and pay the parts your self. If nothing remotely like this occured they should cover it. Thier most likely gonna turn to the infamous (why it's not our fault hand book). The key is don't take no for an answer, don't back down and make sure they know you have no intention of backing down. keep a calm tone about you, remember the people you are talking to are usually not the ones making the final call. One bit of ammo you have on your side should you decide to persue this is that only the front wheel is rusty which would seem to rule out riding threw salt water.

did you get the extended warranty. I ask because it covers your wheels. I don't know if it covers rusted spokes, but it covers road damage, I'm sure you could figure something out:s

The spokes on a new bike shouldn't rust that quickly and your brakes are too important to ignore.
I ride a 07 Sporty in the UK in all weather, it's usually parked outside under cover, I am not fanatical about cleaning and there is not a trace of rust on it.
The guarantee should cover all of it and they should put things right for you.
I know my dealer would do it.
Good luck all the same.

The Dealer and HD Customer Service laughed off my rust issue on the spokes. I Quote HD Customer Service "HD does not view rust as a manufacture defect so it is not a warranty issue" According to them it does not matter if it happened in 1 day or 6 months or where on the bike it happens.

So what are some ways I can take care of this. I tried to search the self-help section but either I did not search correctly of it not there.

A passer by told my wire to use steel wool on all the crome parts. I believe that would be too rough. Then what do I use to protect the metal afterwards?

I would still write a letter and complain to the motor company and cc the dealer.
Have you tryed making alot of noise on a busy Saturday at the dealer?:)

Warranty should cover it unless you have been completely irresponsible in care of your bike, which they can easily determine. If this is not the case, it should be covered. On the other hand, 5 months of dirt and grime unwashed would not surprise me to see problems both with rust as well as brake problems. I know people like this believe it or not. Not saying you are, but there are people who are.

That would be excuse # 307-8 in the (why it's not our fault hand book). Like I said in my last post, DON'T GIVE UP! The break problem is a safety issue, what did they say about that? I would post a thread to see how many people on this forum had that problem and how they made out with hd.

Back