free website stats program Warped Rotor | Harley Davidson Forums

Warped Rotor

glider.

BOT Machine
If you suspect a warped rotor, you can use a dial indicator to check the run out of the rotor. It can also be used to check run out on many other parts like cranks just as one example. They are available from many suppliers in a wide range of prices.

Here's one posted by "Capital Jack"...

Rotor and Crank Runout Gauge - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mr. Data for that. I have had pulsing on my front brakes for a while now, and have been meaning to get me a dial indicator to check runout. Will give the rotor a check for the burnishment trace you noted. This new HD scoot, is causing me to have to buy all kinds of new tools :small3d031:

On the dial indicator - where's best to attach the mag base to, to check runout. I was thinking on one of the fork tubes, but not sure with the cylindrical shape of the tube if it will be a solid attach point.

What's the best way to go about checking rotor runout on this horse...thanks

That's going to be a tricky one being the lower legs are aluminum and a magnet will not attach to it.
Before going crazy, why not use a puddy knife and retract the brake pads back a bit off the rotor on one side and turn the wheel checking for a high spot on the other rotor, then reverse this and retract the pads on the other rotor after pumping the brake handle to extend the first side you retracted. This along with a burnished area should tell the story without additional tools.

Like posted above the truing stand would work but requires the removal of the wheel assembly which would have to come off anyway to replace the rotor.

Remember the rotor bolts should be replaced after removing and they have locktite on the threads so some heat would ease the removal of the bolts.

Before going crazy, why not use a puddy knife and retract the brake pads back a bit off the rotor on one side and turn the wheel checking for a high spot on the other rotor

Thanks gents for the response.

Soes I can get clear on this. After pushing the pads in on one side with the puddy knife - spin the wheel and just do a "visual" on the other side rotor for warpage as the wheel's spinning? No tools right..just a visual check?

Thanks gents for the response.

Soes I can get clear on this. After pushing the pads in on one side with the puddy knife - spin the wheel and just do a "visual" on the other side rotor for warpage as the wheel's spinning? No tools right..just a visual check?

That's about the size of it. :bigsmiley12:

You can usually "feel" the tight spot as the wheel turns if it's warped.

Thanks Mr. Data for that. I have had pulsing on my front brakes for a while now, and have been meaning to get me a dial indicator to check runout. Will give the rotor a check for the burnishment trace you noted. This new HD scoot, is causing me to have to buy all kinds of new tools :small3d031:

On the dial indicator - where's best to attach the mag base to, to check runout. I was thinking on one of the fork tubes, but not sure with the cylindrical shape of the tube if it will be a solid attach point.

What's the best way to go about checking rotor runout on this horse...thanks

Rotor Runout/Ball Joint Gauge Set check this out this is what I use very easy set up

Back