free website stats program Warm Oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Warm Oil?

cyborg

When changing oil`s motor, trans, primary. do you have to ride the bike to get the oil warm or can you just start it on the jiffy stand to get it warm?

ride it is the best takes about 20 mins or so for all of it to come up to temp

As Bud says, not much more than that is necessary, only burned fingers from the hot oil will result, as the oil dispersants and detergents will keep the contaminants in suspension and moisture will be pretty much gone...

It is going to take basically the same amount of time to warm it up riding or on the stand, so you may as well ride it. If you prefer not to ride it I don't see why you cant warm it up on the jiffy stand. The oil is circulating either way. Difference, if any, is unmeasurable IMO.

All my motorcycling life I have heard that you always warm the oil up before you change it. How many times have many of us left it at the dealers over night for an oil change. Think they bothered to "warm it up". I agree with warming it up but with today's motor oils I doubt that really does much unless you have let the bike sit for awhile. Use quality oil and change it regularly and you should have no problems. Fossil

All my motorcycling life I have heard that you always warm the oil up before you change it. How many times have many of us left it at the dealers over night for an oil change. Think they bothered to "warm it up". I agree with warming it up but with today's motor oils I doubt that really does much unless you have let the bike sit for awhile. Use quality oil and change it regularly and you should have no problems. Fossil

Your lucky if they remember to put the drain plug back in never the less to warm it up. That's why you should do your own.
The newer oils keep things in suspension better then the older formulas did but they should still be warmed up to mix things up before draining.

Back