free website stats program Voting causes engine trouble :-) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voting causes engine trouble :-)

I've got what must be one of the last '09s off the line. One day while pulling in to one of the stops on a ride, I killed the engine not giving it quite enough gas to climb the edge of the pavement from a near stop while parking. Didn't think nothin' of it. When we went to leave, I fired up the bike and the CEL remained lit. It was idling fine, but would definitely not make enough power to go anywhere. Cycling the ignition a few times got it back in sync. So I don't think the '08 update (which I'd be certain I had) covers that eventuality extremely well. I believe if I'd simply thumbed the starter, then shut it down normally I'd have avoided the problem. I mean to try that the next time...

Never had it happen, never knew anyone that had it happen. Only read a bunch of horrifying posts on another harley forum I used to spend a lot of time on - before I found this one! :D

I have an '08 and I haven't gotten the download you mention. But then, I always have the throttle closed when I hit the kill switch so I haven't encountered this problem the download solves. Since I avoid the dealer's service department like the plague, I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to get it done. Probably make sure I get it done before the warranty runs out in February.

mine was bad about the high idle i would even make sure to turn it off with left hand so i could make sure to have right one off throttle .. since DL no probs i try to avoid dealer like plague to but this time it was worth it

I can't remember ever using my off/run switch on the handlebar on any of my bikes. Use it if you want or not, it makes no difference. I warm my bike only till the idle comes down, then ride gently until it's at operating temp.

I've used the kill switch a couple times over the years. If the engines still running after a crash it's handy to know where it is. There's no oil at the pickup
when the engine's running and the bike is on it's side. It's funny how broken bones can go unnoticed in the heat of the moment when panic to shut the bike off sets in.
flhrrider

I've been using the kill switch since my 83 WG. Have a friend that used to hate running two throttle cables. They always seemed to stick on older bikes unless perfectly routed and lubed etc. One day his throttle cable broke and he was really thankful for having and was used to using his kill switch. I always thought he was silly for liking just one cable but he soon changed his mind when that happened. Our newer bikes are not as bad but there are two things a lot of people ignor. One is whenever I see cars on the side streets getting ready to turn or cars I am coming up behind is I've gotten used to holding my thumb over the horn button. Back than in 83 and older they had the horn and hi beam buttons reversed making it harder to find the horn fast.The other is being practiced using the kill switch. 100% of the time I park my bike I look back. If I accidently leave the key on I'll see the lights on telling me I fogot to turn the key off.

Back