free website stats program Voltage issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage issue

Windpark

I have a 2007 Softail Custom that has been acting up. At times, while riding, I lose all electrical power. Spedo goes to 0, everthing shuts down for a couple seconds and then powers back up. Just before putting it away for the winter, I took it to the gas station to fuel up and add the fuel additive. As I pulled away from the pumps, the bike stalled and once again no power at all. No lights, no security light, nothing. I waiting for about 5-10 minutes and finally the security light popped up. I turned on the ignition and the bike started.
Not sure where to go from here. I've checked all wiring and ground connections.

Any ideas???

I have a 2007 Softail Custom that has been acting up. At times, while riding, I lose all electrical power. Spedo goes to 0, everthing shuts down for a couple seconds and then powers back up. Just before putting it away for the winter, I took it to the gas station to fuel up and add the fuel additive. As I pulled away from the pumps, the bike stalled and once again no power at all. No lights, no security light, nothing. I waiting for about 5-10 minutes and finally the security light popped up. I turned on the ignition and the bike started.

Any ideas???

Welcome to The Forum, First thing is to check the battery, remove it and have it load tested, if it is OEM it is probably bad. Check ALL fuses and relays for corrosion, clean them all and apply some Amazon.com: NAPA Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound 8 Ounce Tube: Automotive to all electrical connections and check back in

Any ideas???

Start with the easy stuff. Have the battery load tested. Clean both ends of both battery cables with a wire brush.

Does your bike have a circuit breaker or Maxi-fuse? If the former, I would replace that just-in-case. I think it should be a 50 amp breaker if you have one.

You said you checked all the grounds, so that is good. You are looking for stuff that would affect ALL the electrical systems at once. So do was is suggested in the post above.

Let us know.

TQ

If you have a circuit breaker, check the position of it next time that happens. This sounds like a breaker tripping and then combing back on. But don't discount what may be tripping it either, albeit could be a bad breaker.

Back