free website stats program Voltage Gauge reading on Street Glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Gauge reading on Street Glide

Which headlamp do you have? I was reading some posts in other forums where FLHX owners installed the dual light and once installed the low beam would not come on when the switch was set on high beam. Supposedly they had to take it to a HD shop and have them set the ECM so both lights were on in high beam. I installed that dual light in my EG last summer and both lamps are lit in high beam with no trip to the HD shop.
What were you symptoms before you replaced your regulator? From what you are stating it could be quite possible that you could have some damaged electrical components do to a voltage spike. Hopefully something simple, could get spendy.

Pull the headlight out and hook it to a battery charger. Clamp the negative leed and touch the positive leed and if it's good it will light up. If it lights up it will do so on low beam.
Thanks Jeff, I'll do as you say....

Which headlamp do you have? I was reading some posts in other forums where FLHX owners installed the dual light and once installed the low beam would not come on when the switch was set on high beam. Supposedly they had to take it to a HD shop and have them set the ECM so both lights were on in high beam. I installed that dual light in my EG last summer and both lamps are lit in high beam with no trip to the HD shop.
What were you symptoms before you replaced your regulator? From what you are stating it could be quite possible that you could have some damaged electrical components do to a voltage spike. Hopefully something simple, could get spendy.
"Voltage Spike'...that's exactly what I was thinking from the start ... i.e. , after I installed the new VR and the dashboard gauge displayed 16V....It's an 'aftermarket' VR in anycase....maybe shoulda bought HD....I'll check the stator next as Jeff suggested...thanks for the reply!

You need to check your charging/ output voltage with a Multimeter-as already mentioned by Bowden.(You need to use a "proper" voltmeter and one that will give you an exact reading.I really dont know if the bike voltmeter would be entirely accurate)
With the engine running of course.
Check the voltage across the battery terminals at idle and maybe at 2000 to 2500 rpm.
If you have somewhat more than 14.7 voltsD.C it would indicate you have a problem.
It may very well be your gauge is correct and you have burnt out the low beam filament of your headlight due to higher voltages than normal going thru it.Take out the lamp and have a look at it.You'll soon see if the low beam filament is gone.Of course, if you do get an actual 16VDC going through electrical system, it is entirely possible you may have caused some damage to other electrical components.
I think you also need to check the connections you made installing the " new" VR and make sure they're correct and tight.
There's information elsewhere on this site on how to check your stator as well.
Electrically, it is considered normal practice to replace both the VR and the Stator when one or the other fails as each has an impact on the other.

thanks Biscuit...good info...and yes....I knew a/b the stator change, but procrastinated...guess I'll be investing in a new one...as well as a 'multi meter'....
Dave ~

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to know why you changed out your reg, what were the symptoms. If you still have the old one and you weren't experiencing the symptoms you are now swap it with the new one and see if those symptoms go away. If so your new aftermarket one might not be regulating the voltage correctly. A few MM readings will easily tell you what's up. Would be cool if this is the case that hopefully no permanent damage.

Ok, yesterday I checked the Voltage {multimeter set to DC} across the battery terminals (bike not running) = 12.74V -12.75V
(Battery is good)
Next, I started the bike; {M.Meter still set to DC} The reading was 18.8V
Thirdly, {set M.Meter to Audible And AC check} checking for Continuity - Bike not running - grounded black wire to engine fins, then inserted red into the three different holes of the Stator wire..... I received 'beep' in all three holes.
I'm just going to replace the Stator, shoulda done that when changing out the V.R.....

I would do the ohm's test again. You need to ground the one lead and then check each pin in the regulator connector. Using a fin to ground might not be the best choice, maybe try the frame or battery ground. The problem with what you are saying is that you have too high of a voltage which leads me to believe your regulator isn't regulating the voltage.

If you are getting 18.8v at the battery then there is sufficient power to cause damage to the electrical system and cook the battery the voltage regulator should rectify and regulate the voltage to a max of 14.7 volts dc the excess voltage is dumped to ground so ensure the vr is correctly grounded through the bolts that attach it to the frame

Brian

Back