free website stats program Volt Guage | Harley Davidson Forums

Volt Guage

stradwg

Any Ideas On What Would Cause Volt Guage To Move Fron 14 To 10 Then Then 10 To 14. Only Happens When Bikr Is In Motion.

Difficult to put an answer to that question without testing a few things like the stator and the regulator.

One thing to check being it is an ultra classic is the wiring from the voltage regulator where it goes down under the frame itself near the regulator. They have a habit of getting chaffed and shorting out as you ride.

still having issue w/volt guage after last post. ive had to replace regulator and stator 2nd set this year. harley did second set. said every thing checks out. get bike home ride it acouple of times and volt guage acts up again take it back to harley they said everything tests fine they said volt guage is bad. i said to them then why does headlight dim down when volt guage goes down.there answer is older bikes tend to do that...i dont beleive that is the answer.any ideas......

still having issue w/volt guage after last post. ive had to replace regulator and stator 2nd set this year. harley did second set. said every thing checks out. get bike home ride it acouple of times and volt guage acts up again take it back to harley they said everything tests fine they said volt guage is bad. i said to them then why does headlight dim down when volt guage goes down.there answer is older bikes tend to do that...i dont beleive that is the answer.any ideas......

One thing comes to mind being you have a 2000 bike. Check the routing of the harness from the voltage regulator where it goes down and under the frame. There was a problem with the harness in some bikes chaffing on the frame and wearing through. You can actually do this in a dark garage and move the harness around with the ignition on and watch for sparks and your light to dim when and if it makes contact (grounds out). Could be a bad connection from the battery/ground to frame too.

My guess is something shorting to ground intermittently, that's when the meter drops to 10V and especially that you mention that it only happens when the bike is in motion.

Yep, sounds like the harness may be grounding out. Which is probably the reason you have had to replace the regulator and stator twice. In the past with finding short to grounds I've used a test light or headlight wired in series with the circuit. You can place the light in series in place of the fuse. Now when you turn on the bike (engine off) and wiggle the harness you won't get sparks, but instead the test light will light up.

If you notice that it happens more when turning either right or left, check the main harness integrity up by the neck for abrasions on the backside of the loom.

Also check your fender tip light wire to make sure it is not out of the holder under the fender.

Just my 2 cents . But I would also check that voltage gauge out . Disconnect it and see if the problem persits.

Back