free website stats program Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn?

I bought my bike used and when I checked at the local dealer, they actually told me that I had the extended warranty. I did my paperwork by fax, sent hubby down to pick up the bike. There was a lot I didn't know back then. :s

It is my understanding that if the work was done on the bike by the dealer before the original owner picked it up, then all the work would be covered by the warranty. Maybe someone here could verify that? It might be worth asking about anyway.

Best of luck to you.

I think you are right, the dealer should cover all of their work, under warranty, that is why they tell you to have them install the parts.

I seem to remeber being told anythng purchased with the bike was covered for the full 2 years, that would include engine upgrades. I think that was true for upto 60 days after purchase.

Problem is tri fold
1: Racing upgrade = no warranty dealer installed or not.
2: Used no matter if 85 miles or 8500 miles
3: 12000 miles later, not right after you rode it off. Even the original buyer would be (EDIT) with a racing mod after 11K miles.

As far as nothing in writing as far as no warranty, they don't have to. If I were you I would be VERY nice to the original dealer. Don't bring lawyers in as all it will do is make the dealer and HD cold and cost you $. You are at their mercy, and after 11K mikes, you are likely out of luck. Good luck.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP goes to the dealer buys a bike with 85 miles on it. They tell him it has a warranty. They should honor it. Did he know it had the Stage 4, did the original dealer tell him. If so, might have been nice to mention no warranty.

I read an article in American Iron Magazine in 07. You could have your 96" new bike converted to 110" by a HD dealer.(They used Tilly in Statesville, NC) in their article. It was clealry stated that the bike would still be under warranty.

What is the difference between a 103 upgrade and a racing 103 upgrade(cams?)?

Walleye has a lot that I agree with... BUT

I would Take Time to talk with the Manager of service/sales dept. that you talked with where you bought the bike.... They Might still be able to swing a deal Yet.... I agree with smitty that i would of gone back Only to the original dealer first But hind-sight????
Might be the "can of worms" nobody will touch.

Just what is toasted on and in the motor?? totally gone or is something salvageable?

signed....BUBBIE

No dead horse here!
Good points smitty...
Now IF some one would tell the difference of the 103 and 103 race type 4 build.... Higher compression?cams?

I know smitty mentioned in another thread: they were listed separate of the Scrm' Eagle book and I don't have it.

No time like Now! someone.. Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

The fact is was a racing mod and it is 11K miles later by a 2nd owner is not a good thing. I am not saying it should not be covered, just saying good luck.

No dead horse here!
Good points smitty...
Now IF some one would tell the difference of the 103 and 103 race type 4 build.... Higher compression?cams?

I know smitty mentioned in another thread: they were listed separate of the Scrm' Eagle book and I don't have it.

No time like Now! someone.. Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, page 14 says when installed by an authorizedH D dealer at the time of vehicle delivery these kits do not impact the vehicals limited warranty:s

Difference is street legal not not street legal.
If you look in the HD wish book and the SE PRorace bookparts are marked
The traffic light is goo to go street in all 50 states
The hand means must not be used on the street and are not legal for sale in CA.
The crossed flags means about the same as above
The the CA state symbol means it is good to go in CA.

In many case one mod is ok but mix it with another it is not.
This came up once before about extend warranty and any SE race part installed will not be covered.
The EPA gets real upset if they cover so called race parts as they are not legal in the first place they see it as one of those wink and a nob things.
Now I am sure we are all more confused than we were.
Both kits have the same disclaimer in the SE catalog, stop sign and go light, that said that would meen to the original owner

Not at all smitty, Now that you mentioned it,,,I knew that was in the book but never thought they Held up to it... Especially dealer installed... Guess some better get it in writing B-4 the install or the problem...

It's like the sale of the For Race Only Tuners that every dealer tries to sell.... I like the wink and nod you use. as I'm sure they do also.

I just thought that their would have to be a Bigger modification to make that motor un-warranteed..

Thanks smitty Lots of Food for thought!

signed....BUBBIE

Back