free website stats program Vintage sportsters | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vintage sportsters

i have a 1975 sportsters i like to take it out it fun and get lot of look but if you
have the time to and bring stuff back to life and know your stuff go for it a fun project

+1 for an old iron head as that is what i want as my vintage ride when funds allow :D

Hah! Sounds like a plan...just stay away from the Brats & Beer at the HD dealer and the like...the holiday season is upon us! :newsmile062:

I use to own an old 1978 Ironhead sporster. They were really easy to work on. Heck I actually removed the jugs and heads and everything off mine to have the heads reworked and bored out the jugs. I didn't even take it out of the frame. Man I wish I had kept that bike. I really liked it. Chain drive, with a auto chain oiler. Man it was great.
:D

I use to own an old 1978 Ironhead sporster. They were really easy to work on. Heck I actually removed the jugs and heads and everything off mine to have the heads reworked and bored out the jugs. I didn't even take it out of the frame. Man I wish I had kept that bike. I really liked it. Chain drive, with a auto chain oiler. Man it was great.
:D

responses like this are what I'm really looking for. but any sort of knowledge anyone would like to add is great.

When you say vintage, I think of the 57 though 68 models, however, I could buy into the 69 also. Begining in 1970 AMF began to change things, like the front fender then a couple of years later the traditional tach and speedometer insturments and bracket was trashed in favor of a Japanese looking setup.

The 70 issues, up to when Harley Davidson was repurchased, may be old and/or antiques but vintage .. I dunno. That's what is wonderful about the motorcycle world everybody has their own vision of what is, is.

My vision of a perfect "new" Sportster would be a quasi 68 XLCH frame with a 1200 Evo, one fine sprung solo seat, electric starter and all modern electrical system, trust me when I say kicking that old 900 Iron Head wasn't as much fun as you might think, especially half past March north of the Mason Dixon. But then that's just the traditionalist in me.

When you say vintage, I think of the 57 though 68 models, however, I could buy into the 69 also. Begining in 1970 AMF began to change things, like the front fender then a couple of years later the traditional tach and speedometer insturments and bracket was trashed in favor of a Japanese looking setup.

The 70 issues, up to when Harley Davidson was repurchased, may be old and/or antiques but vintage .. I dunno. That's what is wonderful about the motorcycle world everybody has their own vision of what is, is.

My vision of a perfect "new" Sportster would be a quasi 68 XLCH frame with a 1200 Evo, one fine sprung solo seat, electric starter and all modern electrical system, trust me when I say kicking that old 900 Iron Head wasn't as much fun as you might think, especially half past March north of the Mason Dixon. But then that's just the traditionalist in me.

well technically vintage is anyhting older then 20 years old. and these bikes are going for a relatively cheap price. pretty much the same price as something of a similar displacement. and ebay will find me the best deal on these bikes i finding great bikes that have some upgrades and claim to run great for a very cost friendly price. when i got into biking i knew i wanted a Harley i just thought i would have to wait a long time before that happened. but the deals out there are great i just need the money and the week off it could take to get the bike from point A to my garage

I bought a 78 ironhead a few years back and don’t regret it. It has points and condenser and two chains ! In 79 they changed the frame and oil bag and I don’t like the look. ( just personal preference ) So 78 is about as new a bike as I would buy. Older is easier to work on, but parts availability can be an issue. My local HD dealer said they don’t even have books on my bike so they couldn’t tell me the point gap. You can always find parts somewhere and some old guys with advice.
Go vintage !

Re: Vintage Sporsters, '64 XLH Export

Hi group. New member here. I have slowly been restoring this 64 XLH and soon will be ready to start! Does anyone know where to get repro exhausts? When I google, I get thousands of hits which makes it difficult to sort out as most are modern or custom. ebay is sparse with the right bits.
Thanks!

Back