free website stats program Vibratiom from windscreen | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vibratiom from windscreen

Re: Vibration from windscreen

I get a lot of head/helmet buffeting at speed. Makes my teeth chatter. Thought it was the bike but if you duck behind the windshield it's nice and cozy. My new ARAI helmet has a fin on the top but it doesn't do diddly for wind buffeting. I'm 5'8" and the stock windshield seems to be at the correct height. I can see over it if I sit up straight. I wonder if I need to try a taller one?

I was getting a lot of head buffeting on my 09 Ultra. I could barely read road signs and would get a terrible headache on longer rides. I replaced the stock windshield with a 12 inch Clearview recurve. It really made a huge difference, no more buffeting. Clearview means exactly what it says too, there is barely any distortion with the Clearview, even to the windshields edges.

:USA

The problem only happened with the new and louder exhaust.

I will try both a half helmet and then ear plugs. Not sure if ear plugs will help because I feel my teeth chattering!

07 Road King here. I have two helmets, one 1/2 shorty, and a 3/4 with a smoked face shield. If I have the stock 19" windshield on and the 3/4 helmet, I will get a lot of buffeting from the air hitting the top of the helmet, but that windshield is ok with the shorty 1/2 helmet, but unless I sit up straight (which I don't), I have to look through the windshield. So I bought a Clearview 17" with the recurve, same buffeting with the 3/4 helmet, but ok with the 1/2 shorty helmet. I didn't want the 19" recurve, because I didn't want to look through the shield. So long story short...If, I'm going cross-country, I use the 17" recurve and wear the shorty 1/2 helmet. If, I'm riding within 500 miles from home, I leave the windshield off, and wear the 3/4 helmet with the smoked shield. I like 3/4 setup the best, because it is perfectly smooooth air, but you do get weary of the air hitting you in the chest if you are slabbin' it at 75-80mph for a long time. YMMV.

Thorns

oh, forgot...with the 3/4 helmet the muffler resonate louder...with, or without the windshield

Last edited:
Back