free website stats program Very Close Call | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Very Close Call

Lost a good friend and his wife at a red light when they were hit from behind. I always keep it in first and watch mirrors constantly. I also scan intersection both sides prior to entering, even on a green. Wife was 3rd car back on a green and was broadsided by a guy who was sleeping and driving. Always expect the unexpected as they say. :bigsmiley28:

My next mod is gonna be blinking brake lights.I keep my bike in 1st and steady tap the brakes as I watch the mirrors and see approaching vehicles.They still don't always see you.I'll be glad when it is a nationwide law against using a cell phone while driving,it's coming.God Bless and be safe.

Before rolling to a stop I tap the front lever 2 -3 times rapidly before starting the final braking squeeze. Been doing it for about 14 years ago or so when I was rear ended and pushed into the crosswalk...clear nice sunny day, driver in the back yeah "--didn't see me...??"

Always nice to see someone avoid a rear ender, glad your o.k. I have to say that leaving it in first will always give you an advantage except in the case where I was sitting at a red light, it was about 6 am and all of a sudden wham, I was rear ended by a delivery truck. The impact was so hard the fire department had to use a torch to remove my bike from the bakery truck...yes the bike was embeded in the truck. I was thrown about 25 feet from the bike. Unfortuneately there was no screeching of tire because....wait for it...... the driver fell asleep. I was very fortunate to have little to no injuries, probably because I was young and still somewhat in shape.

Clutch in, bike in first, and an exit plan. Never stop in the middle of the lane behind a car, your brake light looks like the rear of the car in front of you. I use a Back Off tail light on both bikes, it flashes 3 times and then is solid for 3 to 5 seconds and then flashes again. Also have LEDs, there brighter. You might thank God, but it is your reaction time that is going to save you. I have had three good friends rearended because of no exit plan, no fatalities, but none turned out to good.

I forgot to add that I took a driver improvement course, in the cage. They stated according to a federal study the 7 out of 10 drivers on the road are impaired. So drive like you are invisable and always, always, always have an exit plan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job emcmtony!! :cheers

I'm sure you had rehearsed your exit plan so many times that when the time came, you didn't even have to think.

I'm glad you are okay and thanks for the reminders!!

CatWoman :rider

I leave it in first, keep one eye on a mirror then modulate the brakelight whenever I see a car coming up from behind.
When a car or two fully stop behind me I will go to neutral for the remainder of the red light.

Back